Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was snoopin' around on the internet and stumbled upon this article about the FDA recommending no bones for dogs:
FDA Advises Against Cooked Bones For Dogs
Now, the article title refers to cooked bones as being dangerous, but the actual quote from the FDA in the article doesn't necessarily seem to specify cooked or otherwise. Anyway, I just wanted to post the link and get everyone else's take on this topic. As a fairly new dog owner, I don't feel that I'm knowledgeable enough to form an opinion on the matter, so I thought I'd get your thoughts on it instead. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree. Cooked bones should never be fed. Neither should large bones from big animals like cattle. Those large weight bearing bones are tooth breakers. If not an immediate break, they can chip teeth, or cause small cracks that get larger over time called slab fractures. Pork, chicken, goat, rabbit bones are all edible. Of course we (raw feeders) don't give bare bones, they are pieces of meat that happen to have bone included, as part of a raw diet.

Having said that, if you don't have a power chewer, some people feel it is OK to give very small dogs the raw marrow bones you get at the grocery store. I think they call them soup bones. As mentioned, these are teeth breakers for larger dogs so use at your own discretion. I occasionally give one to Brody to play with. I do push out the white marrow in the middle. It is nutritious but highly fatty and can cause pancreatitis, so he doesn't get to eat it. He will gnaw on it and get off all the meat/cartilage/sinew and then lose interest. After a day, it's hard as a rock and I throw it away.

Bully sticks and antlers are the only things I leave out for him to chew on.

Personally, I don't recommend the 'dental bones' mentioned in the article. Such as greenies. They are made of corn gluten and starch and have caused impactions and obstructions. For awhile they were recalled, but now they are supposedly 'reformulated' but I still don't use them. Corn starch glue hardened into a chew is not my idea of a treat for a dog.

Everyone has to do what their comfort level dictates. If you aren't comfortable feeding bones, then don't. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
OH NO Tracy! Not the goat bones! LOL
ACK!! So sorry Lin!! I should have thought before I posted that!!!!! LOL! :daisy:

I even hate to say it, but goat is a huge preferred meat to raw feeders. It's such a clean meat and many people will pay top dollar to get ahold of it. Gosh, after seeing your cute babies I don't think I could ever feed it though. They are so darling.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
ACK!! So sorry Lin!! I should have thought before I posted that!!!!! LOL! :daisy:

I even hate to say it, but goat is a huge preferred meat to raw feeders. It's such a clean meat and many people will pay top dollar to get ahold of it. Gosh, after seeing your cute babies I don't think I could ever feed it though. They are so darling.
Oh Tracy! Think nothing of it kiddo. I was just teasing you. The bucks frequently go for meat, somewhere. And yes, it would be a clean meat, at least if the breeder/farmer is reputable. :)

If we have any bucks this year, my sister is having one of the doctors she works with, and his wife, over for dinner. :eek: She had invited me over, but frankly I passed. I would have a hard time with dining on animals I know. I'd never make a true farmer, that's for sure.

And don't hesitate to feed it to your little boy if and when you get some! I'm not squeamish about that at all, really. :hello1:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Lin, I only have one thing to say.

You're awesome. :)

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
((((((((Tracy))))))))) You are pretty awesome yerself! You know we have more babies coming probably the first of next week. :) Emma is due the 25th, but she went 4 days early last year and she is huge this year. NO less than four kids, I feel sure. Sis is thinking Monday or Tues. will be the day. :) We are watching the camera for sure. LOL

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread chiwee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts