Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave: Well Porsha just had her 9wks. chech up and shot and fecal test all is well. We srarted her and my cats on Frontline Plus. done the yard and bombed the house for fleas. Porsha has spots were her hair has fallen out and the vet said she has flea allergies. :shock: She said to give her 1/4 of a benadril tab 2 times a day :? so i got some and started it to day she is still scratching!!! :evil: Does any one else have a chi with flea allergies? If so what do you do for them?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Tia, my chi who went to the bridge last year, had flea allergies. All it took was one flea and one flea bite, and she would just go nuts, scratching and chewing at her fur.

Of course, the important thing is a preventative, which you are doing with the frontline. Treating the yard is also a good idea. I don't know which area of the country you are in, but here in Florida fleas are really a problem outside.

I remember my vet recommended a medicated shampoo also, but I don't remember the name of it. Am sure someone on here will be able to help though.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The coal tar shampoos help some as does making a paste of sulfer and water and applying it to the affected site. However both of those are stinky remedies. It's best to go with the preventatives. I've never had a chi with flea allergies but I did have a Shih Tzu with them and the only answer I ever found was fanatical flea prevention.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
flea allergy dermatitis is every dog's summer nightmare. if it is really severe, sometimes we recommend regular use of medicated shampoo in addition to flea meds, and will give a shot of cortisone to dogs with chronic problems (and without addison's). perhaps keeping off the grass is the only way to keep your pup flea free, in some cases it's worth it!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Temaril-p combines trimeprazine (sp?) with prednisone so it's antiinflammatory, antitussitive (anti-coughing), and antipruritic (anti-itching). We don't prescribe it a whole lot, not sure because it's not effective, or not necessary? I know we use it less often than pred alone because it's easier to monitor the side effects, and usually the pred works well on it's own since it mimics the action of the body's own steriod. We have used temaril-p for kennel cough however, when the animal is allergic to hydrocodone.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
ilovesadie said:
Temaril-p combines trimeprazine (sp?) with prednisone so it's antiinflammatory, antitussitive (anti-coughing), and antipruritic (anti-itching). We don't prescribe it a whole lot, not sure because it's not effective, or not necessary? I know we use it less often than pred alone because it's easier to monitor the side effects, and usually the pred works well on it's own since it mimics the action of the body's own steriod. We have used temaril-p for kennel cough however, when the animal is allergic to hydrocodone.
thanks a bunch :wave:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Bruiser used to be bothered horribly by flea and grass allergies. But, now since he has grown up he is not bothered near as much. I just used the childrens Benedryl and it made a huge differnce! :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
My vet told me to use the children Benedryl too and it worked but make sure to check what the correct dosage you should use with your vet. Hope she feels better soon :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
huh, my vet didnt say childrens benadryl. she said regular im giving it to her and nio diference i use tar shampoo for dandruff i never thought of using it on her i'll try that. I pray i get it under control. she has no fleas now. the frontline plus is working great. sometimes i wonder if she is scrathing out of habit. :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts