Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do your dogs get it?

I'm asking because Daisy just had one in June and my vet says she's due again in Dec.

Lily had one in Feb but she's not due yet.

I thought it was once yearly. It seems the vet has Daisy on a 2x yearly schedule.

·
Registered
912 Posts
We've never had fecals done unless we're suspecting a problem/new puppy exams. Twice a year seems a little excessive, and just a little way for their office to make some money?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree, when you know you're taking care of potential problems like that there's no need for unnecessary trips to the vet or to have tests done. I would say "Thanks for asking, I think we're gonna hold out a bit longer this time". :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ugh so many greedy vets. I agree, no need to test unless you suspect something or they're a puppy. If you worm regularly there shouldn't be a problem. My vet doesn't like to do tests unless absolutely necessary as he believes it unnecessarily stresses the animal out but i've heard of other vets here that test that way, anything to make money I guess.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've never had it done on my dogs, Everyone was wormed at some point but AJ and he never had worms even as a pup, but his mother didn't have them either.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It depends on the lifestyle, puppies we recommend at least 2-4 fecals their first year. If the dog is an indoor dog and NEVER goes to dog parks, hiking, camping, boarding etc, then we recommend once a year, if they do go to dog parks etc we recommend twice a year, even if on year round preventatives, depending on the life cycle of the worm, the heartworm preventatives are not 100% effective, and why take the risk since some of the worms can be zoonotic (spread to humans/kids etc).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It depends on the lifestyle, puppies we recommend at least 2-4 fecals their first year. If the dog is an indoor dog and NEVER goes to dog parks, hiking, camping, boarding etc, then we recommend once a year, if they do go to dog parks etc we recommend twice a year, even if on year round preventatives, depending on the life cycle of the worm, the heartworm preventatives are not 100% effective, and why take the risk since some of the worms can be zoonotic (spread to humans/kids etc).
Daisy is 2.5 and just had this done in June 2010- 6 months ago.

I think we're going to stick with a yearly schedule.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I get fecals done once a year for my three. They get wormed monthly with their HW pills but I still like to have the fecal exam done annually just to be sure. I take their fecal samples in when I have their annual health/wellness exam. They almost always come back negative but twice they have had other worms that their HW meds don't cover. Dakota and Glory have both picked up tapeworms on separate occasions which their Heartgard Plus does not cover. I do it annually for piece of mind, sometimes they might have something that doesn't show. I also have them do a fecal if I suspect a problem as well.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
My vet recommends twice yearly exams, and once yearly fecals. I do the fecals once a year, but I'm not doing the twice yearly exams yet. When Tango turns 6 or thereabouts, I'll start taking him 2X a year, just for my own peace of mind. But I see no reason for fecals twice a year.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
We use Heartguard year round. We never give any other kind of dewormer. The tests are always negative.
Sounds like an unnecessary test. Ask your vet how often dogs on heartguard come up positive for worms. After he says they don't, then ask why he wants a fecal? If he says they occasionally test positive, then ask why the heartguard is not effective?

I'm pretty sure that he's 'forgotten' your dogs are on all year round heartguard. You shouldn't have to do fecals.

I'd only do them as a diagnostic to rule out something out of the ordinary in the case of massive diarrhea or some other problem. Not routinely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts