Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some whole chickens for soup (started broth tonight) and gave my boys the neck and liver from them. Only one had a neck in it and they shared that Ares ate the liver. Kronos sniffed it but wasn't interested in it. I also gave them both a very small slice of beef as I was making beef stroganoff and was slicing up a top roast for it. Anyways I was working in the kitchen and had the boys crated and eventually I came back and the whole neck was gone. I will watch their poops tonight and tomorrow and I have things I bought to prepare prepacked meals for them. I bought chicken wings, hearts, gizzards and livers. I plan on packing them up in some small ziplocs and freezing them. I want to get some baby back pork ribs and cut them for the dogs next and some fish of some kind. I'm still learning all I can I don't post a lot but I read this site daily since finding it.

Ares and Kronos

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Congrats, you've made a great decision to raw feed! However..... I think you should slow down! LOL! You are feeding too much variety too fast. You are almost guaranteed to have upset tummies, vomiting, and diarrhea with the diet you have provided. Liver isn't given until about a month into the diet. You start with chicken, bone-in, (or cornish hens, they are just smaller chickens) and GRADUALLY add in other proteins over time. Like one bite with the familiar chicken to start with. Doing chicken, liver, and beef is too much - too fast.

I'd put the beef, liver, gizzards, hearts, baby back pork ribs, and fish into the freezer!! Start with just chicken. You can use the wings since you have them. Just cut into 3 sections and feed one section per meal. You'll do chicken ONLY for at least 2 weeks. If stools are firm and they are progressing well, no tummy upset and eating enthusiastically through the bones - then at that point you will GRADUALLY add in other proteins over time.

Make sure the meats you are providing are not enhanced. Keep sodium at 100mg per 4 ounce serving at the most. And just go VERY slowly. I understand your enthusiasm, but you have a lifetime to feed your dogs this way. There is no hurry and you want to transition them correctly, with the least amount of stress. Diarrhea and upset tummies aren't fun to deal with.

Do some more reading and get back to us with questions! We will help you. There are a lot of links in this post .....

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/raw-food/49576-you-considering-raw-diet.html

Keep us posted! We want you to succeed! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts