Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pixel is just home after being spayed, all went well.

She seems a bit doped up and sleepy. She didn't eat since 8pm last night and I have boiled up some chickenn which she took greedily. I have given her some very small pieces and was wondering how much / often I should feed her. She has a history of hypo but not since she was very small.

Is she likely to vomit if I feed her too much?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi Lisa, so glad everything went ok, I thought about you this morning knowing how you were feeling. I just gave Bella a small amount of boiled chicken after her spay and then just before bed she had a little bit of the baby food i'd bought and she slept all night without a peek. |The following morning I made her a scrambled egg and she was fine with that too. you'l be really surprised how quickly she'l be back to normal, hope you have a good night. x

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lisa

How is bella acting now? Pixel seems a bit worried (wide eyed)

I'm hoping by tomorrow she feels a bit more normal.

How's her wound now?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
She's more or less back to normal, i'm trying to stop her being too active but she just wants to play, every now and then she makes a little squeak when she must feel her tummy pull but thats not a bad thing cos I think it reminds her to be careful. Her wound looks ok to me, a little bit puckered where the stitches are but i'm hoping that will flatten out when they are removed, colourwise its just pale pink so looks ok, Pixel may still be a little quiet tomorrow but by wed i'm sure she'l be nearly herself.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would only feed a very, very small amount and make sure you sit with her after eating for a while, not feeding and then going to bed. If she is still sleepy you don't want her to eat, vomit and then aspirate it if she is too sleepy to clear it from her throat.

I've actually seen this happen. A dog woke up from surgery around 2 in the afternoon. Owners fed a normal dinner and then an hour later found the dog in a pile of vomit and appearing dead. They rushed it to the pet ER where it was confirmed dead.

When we send dogs home after surgery we tell the owners to feed a very small dinner and make sure you stay up with the dog for a couple of hours before going to bed.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'd just like to say I had Bella next to my bed in her crate on the night of her op in case of any problems.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Pix next to me too every night. Going to feed her a little more chicken now and then nothing til tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the advice!

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts