Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I've been reading up on all the questions about feeding amounts with chis and I'm yet again confused.

I took Fluffers to the vet the other day for his shots and it seemed as if he gained an amazing 0.2lbs!!!!!!! The vet was not impressed. For a 4 month old dog, 1.8lb total weight was not too impressive.

Fluffers used to eat barely 1/4 cups of Oven Baked Tradition a day split into two meals and it was a little nerve racking to watch. I had to even hand feed half of the portions most of the time just to encourage eating. I decided that if he was going to eat that little, I might as well switch to a higher protein/quality food.

I got a bag of Orijen puppy the other day and have been mixing it in with his food. I give half 1/8 cup of old food first then when he's done, top it off with Orijen. And holy ****, he finishes everything!! WITHIN 5 min!!!!!!!!

The guy at the petfood store said that 1/4 cups a day of food is normal....but the bag says 1/2 cup or 3/4 cups a day. I am so confused. He seems to be finishing all his food now and I'm not sure if I should add more food or stick with what he was barely finishing before >___<!!

Has anyone had a chi at this age that eats 1/4 cups a day?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet said he should be gaining weight x_x. I can feel his ribs (the dog's) but its hard to tell on him because he's sort of fluffy and getting more fluffy...I can't see anything but fur.

I also don't free feed because I'm still house training...

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you are transitioning to Orijen and I am too ~ today for us the back door trots set in. I was going 2:1 ~ actually a little heavier than 2:1 because of how the ziploc filled & I am going to have to be a little heavier for the next couple days on the RC and slip the O in a little easier. She wasn't thrilled when she hit the yard and I wasn't prepared with a wipe (she has long hair & fell in the puddle o' mud) Dear Lord she was embarrassed. But I let her know all was cool ~ nobody but her and I knew ;)

So just letting you know it was pretty potent on her little innards might be on yours too. Good luck ~ when you get the chance let me know how yours is doing with it, as I am curious :)
I am feeding half half now with the portions upped just a tad. As for poop details, his stools seem a bit harder as darker in color :eek:.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.