Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
I am transitioning from Royal Canin to Orijen I am doing a mix of 2:1 Royal Canin: Orijen ~ mixed it in a snack size ziplock ~ am watching the poos to make sure they stay firm and will adjust from there. I feed 4 times a day: 6a 10a 2p & 6p we're potty training as well.

This morning Rio ate like a freight train. Yesterday though she played her little heart out so I figured she might be a bit hungrier this morning ~ also 6 pm to 6 am is her longest stretch without food. With puppies I have usually just let them graze within reason. I keep the bowl down about 15 minutes or so so she can eat at a pace she likes and top off within the time the bowls are down. If she doesn't eat a bunch at one of the feedings after the 15 minutes the bowls come up and she has to wait until the next. My family has never had an animal of any sort that wouldn't eventually eat when they were ready so unless we rescued something very tiny or injured ~ we didn't get into the hand feeding (everyone does things different though).

Once they get a bit older and potty training is about locked in I just go by looking at them & by how they act act the bowl I don't measure. Additionally when she gets older she won't eat 4 times a day, most likely we'll go to 3 times and then 2.

When I feed her at 10 I will use a measuring cup just to see how much she is eating for a comparison. But her eating 4 times a day and yours eating twice could mean a big difference in quantity. Rio doesn't weigh 2 pounds yet so the weights are pretty close. I do think at 4 months old you might want to consider/ look into / talk to someone about adding another meal just because Fluffers is young ~ a few smaller meals a day might help with him gulping food down so quickly ~ but that would be something someone with more experience would know more about. I'll let you know after 10 about how much is going into her bowl and how much she is eating at that feeding for a comparison ~ that's not to say we don't have very different dogs on different schedules but it will at least be something to compare to.

· Registered
311 Posts
I filled the bowl as usual and then measured. My 1/4 cup measure was in the dishwasher so I grabbed my 1/3 and it seems like I am putting in about 1/4 cup a feeding or there abouts. the 10 o'clock snack attack she only ate a little bit (few pieces) because she had a bigger breakfast I guess.

So we'll say she has access to 1/4 cups of food 4 times a day ~ but only a few times since we have had her has she completely chowed it. This morning she did and I remember 1 other time I had to top her off as well within the 15 or so minutes its down. Seems when she plays a bunch she builds up a hunger :)

· Registered
311 Posts
Since you are transitioning to Orijen and I am too ~ today for us the back door trots set in. I was going 2:1 ~ actually a little heavier than 2:1 because of how the ziploc filled & I am going to have to be a little heavier for the next couple days on the RC and slip the O in a little easier. She wasn't thrilled when she hit the yard and I wasn't prepared with a wipe (she has long hair & fell in the puddle o' mud) Dear Lord she was embarrassed. But I let her know all was cool ~ nobody but her and I knew ;)

So just letting you know it was pretty potent on her little innards might be on yours too. Good luck ~ when you get the chance let me know how yours is doing with it, as I am curious :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.