Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Lately my 12 week old pup has gone off his afternoon meal.

So i am now feeding him in the morning around 7.00am and again when i get home from work at around 5.30pm.

As this is a long time for him to go without food, my parents give him a few treats during the day.

Im from the uk and have been getting him packed supermarket sandwich ham or chicken for him.

Do you think this is ok for him to eat or is it bad for him?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
what you are giving him from the supermarket is full of salt an id bad.
your times are too long and he could go hypo on you, and die.get you parents to stop giving him the treats he will eat his food. he is so young, 12 wks, all he needs is a good quality food.
others more enlightened will tell you the best ones in the uk

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
That is a long time for a little one to go with out food. Some people boil chicken breast for treats. Could your parents give him his afternoon meal? I think the supermarket meats are to salty for our little ones.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I will rock the boat a bit and say I have seen plenty of little guys do just fine on 2 meals a day, bottom line is you cannot force him to eat if he is eating well 2 other meals each day. I even know breeders that only feed 2 meals per day from 8 weeks on. So I wouldn't worry, as long as your little fella is doing well, keep up what you are doing.

On the supermarket ham/lunch meat, I wouldn't give that as treats because as others have mentioned it is full of salt. It can make him sick to his tummy, so that's no good. If you want to give fresh treats (which is great!) you can buy a chicken breast or thigh and a cut of red meat steak once a week and cook it up for him with a tiny sprinkle of garlic on it, I boil the chicken and cook the steak or red meat in the oven. Then cut it up into treat size pieces and those can be his snack. You also can buy dried up / dehydrated jerky dog treats, that have nothing else added, my dogs love these. I live in the states tho so maybe some UK people can recommend vendors.

FWIW generally any dog food or treats you can buy at a grocery store or superstore are bad for your dog, so, you want to feed a higher end specialty food found at a specialty pet store, Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble ranks foods by star ratings, you want your chi on a 4-5 star food for sure! When a dog is so small there is no need to skimp on quality.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much!!

As i said i do offer him his afternoon meal but he isnt interested at all but will eat his other 2 meals.

And i will look for a better treat.

Just out of curiosity, 1 slice of the chicken weighs 14g and has 0.2g of salt. he wont even have a quater of a slice a day, is that alot of salt i dont have a clue about grams lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Its a lot of salt when you only weigh a pound or two ... I def would not give lunch meats / deli meats as treats. My dogs get sick when I use them as bait in the show ring, too. So, I avoid them all together.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Kristi, your not rocking the boat at all. Very good info.

I will rock the boat a bit and say I have seen plenty of little guys do just fine on 2 meals a day, bottom line is you cannot force him to eat if he is eating well 2 other meals each day. I even know breeders that only feed 2 meals per day from 8 weeks on. So I wouldn't worry, as long as your little fella is doing well, keep up what you are doing.

On the supermarket ham/lunch meat, I wouldn't give that as treats because as others have mentioned it is full of salt. It can make him sick to his tummy, so that's no good. If you want to give fresh treats (which is great!) you can buy a chicken breast or thigh and a cut of red meat steak once a week and cook it up for him with a tiny sprinkle of garlic on it, I boil the chicken and cook the steak or red meat in the oven. Then cut it up into treat size pieces and those can be his snack. You also can buy dried up / dehydrated jerky dog treats, that have nothing else added, my dogs love these. I live in the states tho so maybe some UK people can recommend vendors.

FWIW generally any dog food or treats you can buy at a grocery store or superstore are bad for your dog, so, you want to feed a higher end specialty food found at a specialty pet store, Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble ranks foods by star ratings, you want your chi on a 4-5 star food for sure! When a dog is so small there is no need to skimp on quality.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sparkles loves deli roast beef annd chicken and turkey breat to get her to eat her kibble. My vet suggested it. You are doing aok!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts