Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that very often we have posts asking how much to feed. Even though foods vary in calorie content, I see lots of members sharing how much they feed even if the food is different and the dogs weight, activity and age is different.

I am attaching a simple feeding calculator that I hope will help. You just put in your pet's age and then choose activity level. It will tell you how many calories they need per day. Calories can then be fed based on the calorie content of the food you wish to feed. Obviously if you are trying to add or reduce weight, you will need to modify. Likewise, the amount will double for a puppy, pregnant or lactating mom.
Dog Food Calculator

If you are making a change in either direction, you will still want to watch after a few days to be certain that your dog is not becoming skinny or too chubby.

This is at least a great way to begin.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is the specific calorie content for Ziwipeak since this gets asked as well:

ZiwiPeak's Dog Air-Dried Cuisine Calories

ZiwiPeak Dog Cuisine into calorie figures, based on per kg and per scoop (calculated at 4.2k/cal per gram or 119k/cal per oz.)

ZiwiPeak's Scoop is 56.8grams/2oz's:
Venison Dog Cuisine 4200 kcal/kg / 239 Kcal/scoop
Venison & Fish Dog Cuisine 4150 kcal/kg / 236 Kcal/scoop
Lamb Dog Cuisine 4250 kcal/kg / 241 Kcal/scoop

So as an example, a typically active 4 pound dog would require 172 calories/day.
Then I could figure based on either 119 calories/oz. or 239 calories/scoop to get to that amount.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This is a great post. This should be a sticky!!! This question gets asked ALLLLLL the time!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi, not been on here for ages but got a quick question about feeding ziwipeak if you can help me Karen? About a year ago I got Charlie weighed and was told by my vet to put him on a diet. I was told to feed him as if he weighed 5kg ( he's a big chihuahua!) I showed my vet the ziwipeak feeding guide and she worked out he should have 17g 2x per day. He now has lost weight and looks and feels much better although I've not weighed him lately I can tell by looking at him he doesn't really need to lose much more. I just did the calculator thing and I think I've been under feeding him :( I'm a bit confused, please can you help me work out how much I should be feeding him daily? I'm in uk and not sure if the ziwipeak has same kcals here, I would of thought it would be. Thanks in advance xx

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to try my best with conversions so another lovely from the UK may have to correct me.

So, you are to feed him as if he was 5kg which is 11 pounds here, correct?

According to the calculator, he should have 368 calories a day. Unless he is super active and then he requires more.

One scoop of ZP is about 239 calories. So, unless my conversion and math are wrong (could very well be), I think that he needs a scoop and a half per day divided between 2 feedings.

One scoop is 58.8g. If I followed your vets guide, you'd be feeding him between 1/2 and 3/4 scoop all day. Is that what you have been feeding? Do you use their scoop or measure out by your own spoon or container?

I'd believe that he needs about 3/4 scoop 2x/day.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks for replying, I've been weighing his food out every meal on my electric scales. He has 17g per meal, that's what my vet suggested I feed him after looking at the feeding guide. I do use the feeding scoop provided but only to scoop it out then put it on the scales! Can you tell me how many grams he should be having per meal? I find it best to weigh it out rather than use my judgement with the scoop. Thank you for taking the time to reply xx

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi sorry I've just realised I said 5kg dog when I was supposed to say 4kg. Should I ignore the feeding guide on the packet?
The feeding guide says
3kg dog 0.5 scoops per day -28.4g
5kg dog 0.75 scoops per day - 42.6g

I've been feeding 34g per day split into 2 meals

Thanks again for your help xx

·
Registered
946 Posts
Great post Karen...most helpful I'm sure!
Let me just say, I am so glad I don't have to count calories,
But can look at their bodies to see if the portions need tweaking!
Just like I do for the human family!
That being said, I do measure amount though.
These little pups can get over fed with just a 1/4 t. Over time!
So raw feeders beware too...use your calculator for weight amounts!
It is also a sticky here under Raw.
This is such a thorough chat site! <3 & :cheers:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feed the Venison variety. I just looked at a bag and it says:
3kg, .66 scoop/day
4kg, 1 scoop/day

I am using the feeding calculator from Dog Food Advisor to get close on calories and then fed according to their calories per scoop.

GREAT news! I just went to ZP's site and they have changed it and added a feeding calculator!

Here it is and I have put in your detail and it says 1.1 scoop/day, which is 63g.

Does that help?

Feed Calculator » ZiwiPeak

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Okies... I need some help please.....I don't understand the bag calories verbage...

for Chico, who is very overweight... I have been feeding 2 patties per day(the bag says 3 per day)... so I want to see what I am supposed to be feeding him....

from the Bag:
Stella & Chewy's
Duck Duck Goose Freeze-Dried dinner
Calorie Content: 4,155 kcal/kg (calculated); 55 kcal per patty

CALCULATOR
Step 1
Enter your dog's ideal weight: 6lbs.

Step 2
Describe your dog's activity level: Overweight

Your dog requires 149 calories/day

Step 3
???

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, 3 would be correct according to the calories but if you think he is satisfied at 2, I'd go with what you know, see and think. Oh, and remember to consider/calculate treats, especially since I know you feed high quality, those would count in the calorie estimate daily.
I'd view recommendations as just guidelines since every dog is different.

Hope and Ruby are within an ounce or two of each other weight-wise with Ruby being the "heavier" (that made me giggle-she is 3.9-4.0lbs.) yet Hope looks more round and you would guess that she is heaver. She looks shaped more like Chico and Ruby is shaped like an Italian Greyhound/Whippet-all legs and a teeny waist!

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
but what does this mean from the bag??
4,155 kcal/kg (calculated); 55 kcal per patty

what is kcal?? is that just another way of saying 'calories'

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I searched it, it read kilogram or kilo calorie. In terms of food, it read as if they were interchangeable.

I have always counted kcal in ZP as calorie.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
My feeding calculator goes like this...

Are you looking chunky? Feed you less...

Are you looking a wee bit thin? Feed you more.

Works like a charm ;)
Definitely!
If I fed Tabitha the "recommended amount" from the dog food calculator,
she would be a round little Toad! :blob:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree but some of us have not been doing this type of feeding. I free fed kibble in a bowl. When it was empty, he got more. We also have many new here who who do not even know where to start.

I'd never feed by kibble bag guidelines. Those are clearly there to encourage one to buy more bags of food they are so far off.

That is why I like a calorie to weight calculator. Those of us new have to at least have a place to start.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I feed the Venison variety. I just looked at a bag and it says:
3kg, .66 scoop/day
4kg, 1 scoop/day

I am using the feeding calculator from Dog Food Advisor to get close on calories and then fed according to their calories per scoop.

GREAT news! I just went to ZP's site and they have changed it and added a feeding calculator!

Here it is and I have put in your detail and it says 1.1 scoop/day, which is 63g.

Does that help?

Feed Calculator » ZiwiPeak
Yes that helps! thank you x

1 - 20 of 28 Posts