Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ya

my tyke has put on a pound in 8weeks..when i got him 8weeks ago i took him to the vets and he was 2pounds...and she said thats what he should be

b4 i got him he was eating only lamb mints! the vet said to change he food to pedgiree giving him half a can a day so i gradually did...

hes like the food i give him he always eats it all and licks the bowl clean!

hes very active. has plenty of walks
1hr in the morning & 1hr in the evening and has pleanty of playtime in the day..

he is a 1yr and a half old..

is my vet right should my 1yr and half boy be 2pounds?
should i be feeding him this much?
i have no idea and im going to a differnt vets soon to see what they say!
ive looked everywhere but cant find out how much i should be feeding him!

thanks for any help
star x

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Check his ribs...you should be able to feel them, but NOT see them. If that is the case, then he is the right size. If it is hard to feel them, he is getting a bit too chubby and if you can actually see his ribs then he needs to plump up some more.

My two Chihuahua's are bigger than yours, but they eat probably 3/4 cup of food a day each.

·
Registered
321 Posts
WoW your chi is 1 1/2yrs and only weighs 2 pounds Porsha is 3.2 Pounds at 9 weeks. You have a very tiny chi the smallest I have ever seen is 4 pounds adult weight. Your chi is probably fine if your vet hasnt said anything about being underweight. Porsha was 2 pounds at 6 week and i can picture how small you chi is how cute.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i go by the saying check your dog not the bowl when it comes to feeding. i use the back of the bag's serving suggestion as a guideline. if it seems like the dog is getting chubby then the amount being given should be cut back, if it seems like the dog's getting to slim add a little more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts