Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I bought nutro natural choice lamb dogfood. Could someone tell me how often to a feed a new puppy? Should it be available always or through out the day in certain amounts? How much should I feed a new puppy?? Im confused! :?

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should make sure your chi puppy eats four times a day. Chi puppies can get low blood sugar levels easily so they HAVE to be fed often. Also I would get nutristat from your vet. This is a food supplement that you can give them during the day to make sure the puppy's sugar levels stay up. When my chi's were puppies they were a little picky so I put goats milk in with the food for the first couple days and they really liked it. you only have to do that if they're not eating well. Hope this helps :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
A chihuahua puppy isn't going to eat much at all during feeding times. I don't even think a 1/4 cup of food would disappear from the bowl.

I fed Cooper 3 times a day (opinions vary between 3-5) and used his food as treats when we played. I loved Mark's suggestion of goat's milk but you can also use a teensy bit of water or chicken broth mixed in the dry food and popped in the microwave for a few seconds to soften the food a bit so it's easier for the little pup to eat.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
when we got my puppy we were told to feed him 3-4 small meals a day, but to leave to food out for a while because they tend to graze, then as they get older, like 6 months change it to like 2 and 1/2... hope i wasn't confusing.. just PM me if you don't understand.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
feeding times

Yoshi ate 3 times a day and at around 13 wks he quit eating his midday meal so now he is on 2 days.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I loved Mark's suggestion of goat's milk
When I fostered kittens without mothers, I used goat's milk and they thrived very well on this.

When Zeus was a puppy, I fed him 3 times a day. I recall giving him about 1/4 cup and there were times he ate it all, and other times he'd eat half. I also gave him Nutrical 3 times a day (about the amount of toothpaste that you would put on your toothbrush is how much Nutrical I gave him). He never once had a sugar crash and always had an abundance of energy. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts