Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got princess for 2 weeks now....i'm having problem with the way she eats....when i give her food she just smell it and walk away...i tried 3 different brands already...and i even tried mixing it with canned food and pouch food...i don't wanna give her table food...she's active i don't thibk theres something wrong with her....sometimes i hand feed her she eats a few kibble and that's its i never saw her eat in hr bowl....she's 1 year old....need help pls....

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If she's a year old, she may have been previously spoiled and not accustomed to doggy food. What you can try and do is get VitaVite.. or something like that.. its a vitamin mineral supplement and appetite stimulator. That way you can make sure she's getting some nutrients.. and hopefully hungry to get some food :)

You can also try adding some water to the food, soften it up :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i'm having this problem with my chiwi. it's frustrating and i now have to liquify canned food and give it to her from a syringe sut to make sure she is eating right. she lost an ounce but has maintained weight for 2 1/2 days now. i'm at my wits end with this. she's so young i worry non stop about her food intake.... i had a nervous breakdown yesterday and was crying to the vet at my job about her and her not eating. this seems to be a pretty common topic here.... :shock:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with Alekonakini, if your chi is a year old, it may just be very picky. Do you know what the previous owners fed her? If you can find out, try giving that to her. If she was fed human food and you want to get away from that, you may try mixing the food you want her to eat in ever greater quantities in with whatever people food she will eat? Make it slow so that she doesn't realise it. Hope you get her straight and eating soon!

·
Registered
277 Posts
You can also add canned broth (chicken or beef) to her dry kibble to give it more flavor. I would suggest that she is a picky eater (we have 1 of those) so try free feeding her. Leave a bowl of kibbles out all day so that if she gets hungry she can eat on her own terms. A dog will not starve itself if it has food available to it but it may not want to eat when you provide it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If your Chi isnt eating you can also try buying "Nutri-Cal" Its a High calorie palatable dietary supplement for dogs and cats. Most Vets recommend it and dogs seem to like it too. Im not sure of the price, somewhere between $7-15, the tube will last a long time too. You can find it almost anywhere that sells pet supplies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well,I had the same prob with my Chi when I got him.The first two weeks I had him I went to the vet like abougt 6 to 8 time.Well finally the on time that I went my vet gave him cat food,and he abolutelt loved it.So that's what he eats now,Whiskas :lol: meat in sause,not tha pate kind.You could give that a try.

Jules

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I am another one with a very picky eater. I tried several different foods before I found one she would eat. And she will still turn her nose up and walk away at times. I just leave her dish down all the time, and several times a day, she will go and eat a few kibbles. Just to be sure she is getting enough nutrients, I also give her the Nutrical almost every day.

I did have to resort to people food for a while, cause she was just not eating. I mainly gave her boiled chicken, but she is doing fine on her kibble right now. Good luck. - Lynn

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi
used to have the same problem tr yadding some turkey breast, shred the slices and mix with the food, you dont need to use alot, and keep the rest frozen cause it doesnt stay well , or add a teaspoon of chicken broth to her food
mine now eats normal

michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts