Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times a day should I feed my puppy. I have read that chihuahuas need small frequent meals. My breeder says he leaves the food out so they can eat when they want. I can't leave food out because my beagle will gobble it up. She eats once a day. I was thinking three times a day. Also, does anyone have an opinion about long or short hair? I will be picking out my puppy next weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hello! You are right Chi's do better with small frequent meals. I have three adult Chi's and I feed them twice a day, with a snack at night. This helps to keep their blood sugar level. I have two short coats and one long-coat. It is just personal preference in what you want. They are all great!! :D

Some also do well with free-feeding? I just find this method works well for mine. :D

sandra
here is a link to see their pics....
http://members.cox.net/wic7/

·
Registered
518 Posts
Most would say feed your puppy 3 times a day untill he gets to be about 6 months old.

Long vs. Short is just a matter of preference. The only advantage I can think of in one over the other is that the short coats require less grooming. I have a long coat and if I don't brush him regularly his hair gets tangled. However, since there's not a lot of dog to brush - it takes about 5 minutes to get the job done. :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Your are correct, you will want to feed your chi pup three times a day. When I got Ginger I would feed her 4 times a day just because she was so tiny. Also if you are going to create train her you might want to keep her food in the crate with her just in case. Also I would buy some Nutra-Cal to have on hand just in case she doesnt want to eat. It has a lot of calories and sugar and helps in a pinch if your pup doesnt want to eat.

As far as long vs. short I have both....and to be honest there is no difference except the grooming. I have to groom Kylie once a day (just run a brush through her) and bath her probably once every couple weeks because her fur gets dirty. I get her professionally groomed once a month. That is the only major difference, besides what one thinks looks better.

Best of luck picking out ur chi pup! You are already stepps ahead of most by asking questions before you buy one! I look forward to hearing more from you!!!!

-Jessica

EDIT: also please introduce yourself in the new member section :D

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Hi there, how exciting for you to be getting a puppy!
I have a little girl, Poppy and actually she is a combination..she has fluffy ears and tail like a long coat, but her hair on her body isnt that long. Its just a matter of preference. I think that you will know what to chose when you actually see the puppies in front of you...there will be one that is "just right" for you, and you wont care what kind of coat it has! I went to pick out my puppy and there was a mix of long and short coats. I was determined to get a short coat because I am lazy and didnt want the hassle of grooming alot...and then I just saw Poppy and decided that she was the one, and didnt even notice what type of coat she had until I had paid!
Good luck! :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have 2 long coat females.
I don't think they shed all that much, some here with short coats say the short coats shed alot.
I don't groom them alot. The only time they really need it is when they have been playing and slobber on each other. They play alot, most of the time they don't slobber though LOL.

If you can't free feed, then you will have to feed that baby at least 3 times a day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chihuahua puppy

Thanks for the info. I won't be able to free feed because of the beagle. I am going to crate train, it's the easiest for me. I figure the same about the long and short hair, i'll wait until I see them then decide. I am lazy about grooming but the breeder said the long hair aren't too bad. I had a yorkie (had to put her down a year ago) and she had to be groomed. I usually just got her shaved. The breeder said that the long hair doesn't need grooming like a yorkie.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
from my experience leaving the food out makes for some picky eaters. small frequent meals are the way to go.....

i wanted a long hair so i could brush her coat and put little bows in her ears... (i am a torturer, i believe in jewelery, bows and clothes on animals lol)

post pics when you get your baby!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.