Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to have certain times of the day to give food or leave it out all day? I was just curious about this because I leave Bella's food out all day, and was wondering if it is better to start only giving it to her 2 or 3 times a day.

What are the pros and cons of each? And what do you do?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
i feed mine twice a day - morning and night

i never leave food out all day as it can make them fussy eaters

·
Registered
809 Posts
I feed meals. One in the morning and one in the evening. I do this with all my adult dogs. Puppies may get lunch as well. I do this because it's much easier to potty train if you know exactly when they ate. It's also easier because I work so I know if I feed them breakfast at 7:00 am then they will be ready to potty and be empty for the rest of the day by the time I leave at 8:30. I can also keep a close eye on weight. If someone starts getting chunky I immediately cut their food some or if one starts getting a little ribby I can up the food. And I know exactly how much they are eating.

Leaving food down means they will graze all day and you can't predict their potty habits. I think it's also easier for them to get overweight if they can eat whatever, whenever they want. One other downside to free feeding is that if your dog gets sick and the vet asks if they've been eating then a lot of time, unless you actually saw them eat, you don't know. I've talked to plenty of owners who say "I don't know when she ate last, I just leave food out all day for them". The other dog could be eating it and the dog in question not getting proper nutrition. If you feed meals then you know exactly when they ate last.

I know a lot of people with one dog will free feed because it's easy but what if you end up with dog #2 or #3 or #4 and #3 is a piggy? It's harder to transfer a dog from free feeding to meals. Easier to just feed meals from the start.

Just my $0.02.

Olivia

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I fed Chico twice a day and also left food out for him all day. He ballooned in his weight and his Vet even commented on him being a fat chihuahua.....After listening to others here I took the free feeding bowl away. Chico is still overweight but it has more to do with ME... not him.... I feed him twice a day now but I have to be careful in the amount of food, treats...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I feed twice a day also and don't free feed at all. :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I feed Darla 4 small meals a day, at set times.
Daisy gets fed 3 times.
I agree about knowing when they will potty better, plus Darla would most likely get fat cause she is a greedy wee girl, lol
Daisy isnt far behind on that score now aswell. x

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also feed twice a day.. for Noah and also for my cats. I don't free feed.
Also because I think Oliver and Spike would eat Noah's food and I will never know how much Noah has been eating that day..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, I think it would be smarter!
When Noah was just back home, he didn't eat that good, sometimes he just didn't eat at all.
I wanted to give him food all day long, but then my vet said; no, don't do that, give him something two or three times a day. Give him 15/20 minutes to eat and when he's not eating.. just try it again later.
It was so difficult for me, I was like: yes but.. he has to eat!
But it was helping.. I tried it a few times and when he wasn't eating I gave it again after like 1 hour.. and after a while, he was going to eat. Not much.. but well.. he ate.

I think it's better to do it that way, so they know that their food is not there all day long. They have to eat it at that moment, and if they don't or don't eat eat enough.. well, they will be hungry.
But I have to say Noah was not going to eat more, it took me a very long time. But that's a different story, he ran away, had only cookies and other 'bad' food and then going back to your normal food.. I can imagine that he didn't like it that much.

As long as she is not losing weight I think it's ok! I also think that she can be(come) a very fussy eater if you leave the food out all day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I currently "free feed" well he gets fed small bits every 2-3 hours, but he's also 8 weeks.. He'll eventually be on 4 times a day.. 6am, noon, 6pm, midnight.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I agree with what most have said. Free feeding with such a tiny one is perhaps not such a good idea because you don't know what has been eaten.

I feed 3 meals a day to my 8 month gal. She has only gained 1 ounce since she turned 6 months old. She has been spayed, and has not gained ANY weight since then (around 6.5 months). So Bella might just be almost done growing, you never know.

I mix a titch of canned food in with her dry food sometimes to make it more interesting to her.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I do mix in some canned food. It is chicken and came in a really big can..How long can I store this in the fridge??
If I have a really large can, I spoon it out into several ziplock bags, push all the air out and freeze. I've never had a problem doing that and then when you need more canned food, you can get a bag out of the freezer and thaw it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts