Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
yea i give mine a lil bit of scrambled egg once a week.....they really love it....

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I like eggs for dogs. They have a lot to offer in terms of healthy fats and protein. Some dogs may have a loose stool after eating them so go slowly. I'd probably do one egg scrambled and split between the 3 of yours. Maybe 1-2 times a week just as variety or an add in.

If you'd like to do more than that, you can do an egg in place of a meal once you know their tummies will tolerate it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
We keep chickens, so we have more eggs than I know what to do with. We have worked our way up to giving each of my 3 a raw egg every other day, with about 8 pieces of kibble mixed in. They get one other kibble meal on their "egg days". On the "off egg days" they get 3 kibble meals. Most days they will eat the shell just by itself (they really like to shake 'em around and crunch 'em up;)) or I save the egg shell when they don't eat it and crush it up for the next time they have kibble! The shell has good calcium, so that's why I encourage them to eat it. :) I used to scramble it up for them, but they seem to like them just as much raw, so I don't bother anymore. lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Darcie - sounds great! Lucky you to have fresh eggs!

Brody gets an egg about once a week as a meal. I do them raw too. Sometimes he eats the shell, sometimes not.

You can do raw, no problems at all, but some people are more comfortable with them cooked.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
When you guys say you feed them raw eggs, do you mean you crack them first?? I can just imagine setting an egg in front of Lua and just having her stare at it not knowing what to do or how to 'break' it... lol...

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
When you guys say you feed them raw eggs, do you mean you crack them first?? I can just imagine setting an egg in front of Lua and just having her stare at it not knowing what to do or how to 'break' it... lol...
Lol yes, you crack them...I usually save the shells and about once a week once they are dried, grind them up and I have a pretty good supply that I add now and again to their food as a calcium supplement :) Some dogs will eat the shell, others won't. I grind it up because I noticed my guys were not digesting it otherwise (little egg shell pieces in their poos...ouchie!).

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I crack them for Zoey, Shellie my golden just eats the whole thing, she cracks them herself. Zoey I also will break up the egg shell for her into bite sized pieces then she eats about 3/4th's of it. Ziva hasn't had eggs yet.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I crack them for Zoey, Shellie my golden just eats the whole thing, she cracks them herself. Zoey I also will break up the egg shell for her into bite sized pieces then she eats about 3/4th's of it. Ziva hasn't had eggs yet.
Thanks for the reply!
Just starting to introduce new proteins to Kahlua so may have to try this. Haha.. now that I think about it, wouldn't egg technically be the same as chicken anyway... just a lil less developed.. ha!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
Just starting to introduce new proteins to Kahlua so may have to try this. Haha.. now that I think about it, wouldn't egg technically be the same as chicken anyway... just a lil less developed.. ha!
I think *technically* it is considered the same but I would take it slow at first, it can give some dogs diarrhea, I started Zoey off with about 1/4 of an egg, then worked up to a whole one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts