Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you feed your dogs?Do you measure how much their allowed in a day and then split and feed them once in morn and once at night or do you leave the food down all day?

I always leave food down all day and they go to it when hungry(its dry food)But I dont no,if its better to take it away and feed at certain times.

And a quick question about their teeth:
What do you do to keep their teeth nice?
I use the stuff you put in their water,give them dental chews and recently started brushing their teeth every night. I also just bought a product called Plaque Off-not really used it yet though.
Bambis teeth are kinda ruined and she is 7/8 years old so its impossible to make her teeth nice, but I hope what I'm doing will stop them getting worse.

Am I doing enough?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I feed Rocky wet food in the morning and dry food in the evening. I am not measuring it, but I roughly estimate how much he should get. I dont leave it out all day, especially as wet food would get bad. Also I am able to know when he needs to go out for his business ;)

I brush Rockys teeth every evening :) but he also gets some chew bones. I think brushing is still the best.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I feed Ziwipeak dry. I measure the amount that they are to get and feed them morning and night. They eat the food in a matter of minutes so then I pick up and wash their dishes.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yep, Lilo gets 1/4 of a cup of California Natural twice a day. She finishes it in a couple of minutes.

I use Petz Life oral gel on her teeth and she gets chewies to help with her teeth as well. Every couple of weeks I examine her teeth and if she has any tarter starting to build up I just pop it off with my fingernail or a dental scraper. (note: I don't scrape her teeth with a metal scraper, that just causes lots of little crevices in the tooth for more tarter to build up)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My dogs all get fed twice daily. Once around noon and again around 8pm.

Our dogs are raw fed so their teeth are beautiful. But I do give them DentaStix.... only because my last job was throwing out a humungous box of samples they got and said I could take it. We still have a whole garbage bag full of the things... I don't think they expire but I might end up donating a bunch of them to our humane society if they don't get used up soon.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I also free feed my dog... We tried to get him on a feeding schedule, but for weeks he would barely eat when I put the food down and started to look thin. So now I just leave the food down all day, and he eats small amounts. I do measure out how much he should have in a day and put it in the bowl, instead of just filling it to the top.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Both mine are fed around 8.00 a.m. and again at 6.00 p.m. I'm very careful with their food because I am determined that they will stay at their ideal weights (so much healthier that way) so they each get 1/8 cup of grain-free kibble at each feeding = 1/4 cup total of food each day. If I'm doing a lot of training, I'll cut their kibble back so they don't get overfed. By feeding them on a schedule, their potty habits are more predictable too, which works for me.

Once a week I let them chew on a chicken drummette to help keep their teeth clean. I also brush their teeth several times a week, use Petz Life Oral gel, and let them chew on Virbac CET dental chews. Tango came to me (he was a rescue) with dental issues and lost two teeth at his first dental. Since then he hasn't lost any more and I aim to keep it that way! They've gotten a dental once a year also, but I'm hoping that I can extend that to once every 2 years with what I"m currently doing to take care of their teeth.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I want to go Raw, but my chi only being 7 1/2 weeks I think I should wait till little older I am still feeding her puppy formula with her food for few more weeks since she was taken away from her mom at 6 weeks. or is it OK now?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once I get my new pup,I'm deffo going to feed them twice a day because at the moment its very unpreditable when their going to potty.And switch their food too.

What dental chews do guys use?Esp if your from the uk?I dont know if they actually work but I always give mine a chew for their teeth right after brushing their teeth.Its a treat for them for letting me brush their and hopefully its helping their teeth too :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts