Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
Reuben's a whole 3 months...almost 4...
He's been feeding fine...as per my breeder and vet, I give him as much dry as he wants (he's been eating fine...gained the proper amount of weight, no more, no less) a teaspoon of cottage cheese at lunch...the occasional 1/4 of a biscuit as a treat and, of course, nutrical.
But I read somewhere that dogs who ONLY eat dry food tend to develop problems with their pancreas...
WHAT????
What's the concensus of opinion here...do you serve moist/wet food? How often? Treats? What kind...what age did you start?
I'd love to give him a 'chewy' type rawhide something or other...but I want to keep him healthy and happy...
Advice?
Jill

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
My girls eat only dry food. I've never heard that about the pancreas, do you have a link to where you read it?

I think most vets will recomend dry food because it doesn't cause as many teeth problems.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I've never heard that about dry food. I would think canned food would be worse for dogs, healthwise, since it's higher in fat and causes problems with their teeth if they don't get anything else crunchy to eat.

I gave Cooper treats from the very first day. Be careful with how many you give your pup - I would stuff Cooper full of them, not thinking about the fact he only weighed 2 lbs... and when we were done with treats, he'd weigh 3! LOL

These days, everything will kill you. That's why I continue to eat red meat and smoke. I figure I'll die the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cooper said:
These days, everything will kill you. That's why I continue to eat red meat and smoke. I figure I'll die the old fashioned way.
I agree and live the same way. As for the dry food, i've never heard of it being bad for them if that's all you feed. Alot of dog people say the opposite, that it's not good to feed only canned. I think your fine with just feeding dry and the occasional treat.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hmmm, that doesn't make any sense to me...usually pancreatitis is caused by fatty foods, so I would think dry food would be better than canned for that reason. I feed Diego dry food only, 3 times/day and for treats he gets carrots, apples, blueberries, and the occasional greenie. You also mentioned you might want to give your pup rawhides? The consensus on this board is to stay far, far away from them. Although some people don't like greenies either...I think you just have to really watch them when they have things like that. Sounds like you're on the right track with what you're doing right now! :)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
As long as you can watch her while she is chewing on them she should be fine. The problems is they will sometimes swallow a piece that is kinda big and it will swell up inside them and cause an intesinal blockage, which if not treated (operation to remove blockage) will cause death.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i've always heard that dogs need atleast some dry food because of their teeth, as was already mentioned. i would ask the vet :scratch:

as far as treats, i wanted to mention something my dogs love... yogurt drops! i'm not sure what brand they are cause our stores here don't sell the name brand one that i used to get, but they came in a yellow can, and they look like oversized chocolate chips. pet smart back where i used to live sold them, but at our local petco here, they looked at me like i was stupid when i asked about them and pointed out that they sell them in veggie flavors for bunnies, but the dogs didn't dig those (the ones for dogs come in chocolate flavor or vanilla, but i would stick to vanilla because even tho the chocolate ones aren't made with real chocolate, i wouldn't want to let them get a taste for the real thing). my pups are all spoiled rotten now, with all kinds of treats but when beefy was a puppy and would gobble anything you gave him i liked those cause they are soft enough that they don't choke if they eat them too fast. i think they are a good safe starter treat anyway, but most small dog treats are probably ok, as long as you keep an eye out for for possible dangers from choking.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow...thanks guys! Dry food it is! Reuben's been doing FINE on the dry...he, of course, would PREFER something fattening and yummy...but he's on NutriMax and loves it...
NOW...let's talk about these chewy treats...I don't want to give Reuben something like the yogurt drops...I want to give him something that will take a looooong time to chew...Greenies, to me, sound potientially VERY bad and dangerous...I won't even consider them...
What else could I substitute? Is there NO chewy-treat that I could give him to munch when I'm leaving the house (to keep him occupied and happy?) Or should all chewy treats be monitored?
Jill

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Actually I think all the chewy things should be monitered.
I am with my girls 99% of the time. But if the chew stix ect. get down below 1/2 I usually take them away and get a new one.

My girls can eat a greenie very quickly. I don't consider them something to keep them busy, more of a breath freshener. But I don't think they have bad breath so they don't get them that often.

Sandy doesn't like those Dental Stix and Koke will eat them faster than a greenie :dontknow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts