Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if the raw feeders still use a worming med. like intercepter that kills all worms but tape worms. And do your dogs get tape worms and other worms from raw food?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Never had a worm problem. Tape worms come from fleas, not meat. They are more likely to get worms from ingesting infected poop than from meat, unless they are eating wild animals such as rats or rabbits. Freezing meats will kill parasites. I freeze everything before I feed it and I only feed grocery store meats (like I would buy for myself).

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
DHA is a component of omega 3 fatty acids. It's found primarily in the eyes and brain. You may have seen the advertising saying that dog foods have added it. Basically it is fish oil.

If you feed primarily grass fed red meats (not finished on corn and not from factory farms), then it is loaded with omega 3's. Some eggs contain large amounts, and wild game is full of it as well.

If you don't have access to these grass fed meats, then yes - you would need to supplement. I use fish oil for people. One capsule poked and drained on his food a couple times a week. Or you can feed oily fish such as salmon, sardines, smelt for example that have high amounts of omega 3's.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Wondering if the raw feeders still use a worming med. like intercepter that kills all worms but tape worms. And do your dogs get tape worms and other worms from raw food?
I still give my raw fed dogs Interceptor primarily for their heartworm prevention. I live in a very tropical region that has Mosquitos year round. I have only had tapeworms once and that was due to eating a flea last year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts