Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I cant leave food down all day...so how often and how much should I feed to very small pup? I started Addy out on Raw when she came to us at 12 weeks and I fed 3x a day. She was a hefty 2lbs at 12 weeks. What if the pup is smaller? My main concern is hypo:( Someone on another board said she never heard of a Raw fed pup getting hypo:confused:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I don't think that raw fed or not has anything to do with hypo, at least not from what I've heard?

I would offer 3 raw meals a day and maybe Ziwi down some or most of the time? We had to leave food down for Bryco 100% of the time til he hit about 2 lbs which wasn't til he was 18 weeks old.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with Kristi on leaving ZiwiPeak out for nibbling and 3 meals a day.

The person mentioning hypoglycemia being uncommon in raw fed puppies is probably right. The protein levels are stable with no carbs. Carbs can cause blood sugars to go up and then when they are depleted, they crash down. Protein is good at stabilizing sugars. Grain free still has carbs in it in the form of potatos, peas, etc. Meat, bone, and organs has no carbs. :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I don't think that raw fed or not has anything to do with hypo, at least not from what I've heard?

I would offer 3 raw meals a day and maybe Ziwi down some or most of the time? We had to leave food down for Bryco 100% of the time til he hit about 2 lbs which wasn't til he was 18 weeks old.
This is pretty much what i did with Roxy. Instead of leaving Ziwi down always, i just offered it like every two hours or so. If I left it down, my other girls would have eaten it or Roxy would have eaten it all at once (she's a piggy!) We also got up at night to give her some food.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy was 1.4lb when I put her on raw never had any hypo attacks depending on the size :) I'd maybe feed 4 meals and rather than leaving food out just use the ziwi as treats as obviously it's better than the actual ziwi treats

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Daisy was 1.4lb when I put her on raw never had any hypo attacks depending on the size :) I'd maybe feed 4 meals and rather than leaving food out just use the ziwi as treats as obviously it's better than the actual ziwi treats
Sarah were do you buy Ziwi ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts