Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided not to try to put Jaxx on a scheduled feeding instead of just free feeding him. With free feeding he probably nibbles all day long and it seems that I am taking him out ever hour or two because he is always nibbling.
It seems he is eating a lot less since I started feeding him on a schedule. Will this change after he gets used to it?
He is so little that I am afraid that he will not get enough to eat and get sick because of it. He is a very active dog and it doesn't look like he has much meat on his bones anyhow. I do not want him to eat too much and lately with free feeding it seems like he is always wanting more to eat. I also do not want him not to eat enough and get sick.
I know that chihuahua's weight is vital because if they get too overweight it will be bad for their legs. Jaxx has no worries about weight right now but I think if we keep free feeding him that it could be an issue in the future. Even with free feeding I always give him a set amount for the day but then after that is gone he sits by the utility room door wanting more.
Does anyone who has switched to scheduled feedings have any hints?
I have been putting his food out twice a day (half in the morning and half in the evening) and if it is not gone within 30 minutes I put it back into the utility room.
In the morning he does not seem to be eating hardly at all but in the evening he eats more. Is it possible that I am feeding him to early in the morning before he is hungry?
Thanks for any hints!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I used to have overweight, picky eaters. Not anymore :)
I feed them when I get up in the morning (around 7) and again about 4 or 5 pm.
They also get their cookie at lunch to prevent any low blood sugar and a cookie
at bedtime. That's it; no extras. And, they don't leave anything in the bowl.
If Jaxx doesn't want to eat first thing in the morning, you could give a cookie then
to hold him over and breakfast a bit later. I know that if Jerry doesn't get something
to eat on a regular schedule he throws up bile :(
Also, I supervise their meals--Jerry eats slower and Tabitha would be happy to
help him finish up! :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like to regulate the eating time so I can better predict the potty times. I feed at 5:30am, noon, and 4pm.

When he is slow finishing, sometimes I'll take the kibble and put it in a kong for afternoon play. Also, sometimes I pick up the kibble and use it to practice his commands. He likes the attention, and it finishes the last bits.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I free fed both of my dogs as puppies. I eventually switched to raw, which they ate happily. Now I feed ZiwiPeak and Stella &Chewy's twice a day.

Penny had no issue adjusting to scheduled feedings. She eats like a pig.

Lion refused to eat for a long time, he would just pick at his food when he was starving. My advice? Don't give up! I was getting so frustrated, but he FINALLY gave in. He used to only eat 1 meal a day, but he now finishes both of his meals eagerly. :)I stopped giving him treats and took away his food when he would turn up his nose at it. He wouldn't get anything until the next meal time. It took some persistence, but it worked!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.