Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having issues with my 8 week old baby not liking her frozen raw food and I've been trying to figure out what to do. I managed to get a free sample of ZiwiPeak today and she couldn't eat it fast enough, lol! She was eating so fast she started to choke a bit on the pieces so I broke them up for her and she ate those just fine. I just thought that that was pretty funny.

I don't think she likes the flavor of the frozen raw that I've been feeding her. It's turkey and the Stella & Chewy's flavor that she loves is duck. The ZiwiPeak is venison and so are the jerky treats I have for her. She loves all of those and freaks out every time she even sees the bags. I found a store by me that sells the Stella & Chewy's duck flavor frozen raw patties so I am picking up those tomorrow. Hopefully she likes those better. The only way I can get her to eat the frozen turkey that I have for her right now is by mixing some of the freeze dried duck in with it. She eats it really good then. 8 weeks old and she is already picky, lol!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Make certain that you do not offer her too many choices or the picky will stick and not be as cute when she is older.

I am NOT surprised that she loves the ZP. Perhaps so the turkey does not go to waste, mix it with the ZP. You'll want to add water to the ZP anyway. She can get a nice Venison turkey stew!

You could do ZP at one meal and S&C at the other. Or keep mixing them so that she get accustomed to a variety of great foods.

Impressive that you have her on such great foods already!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
That's great that you've found something so good for her that she loves. When mine were little I would rip up the ZP squares so they were easier for them to eat. winnie is now 4 1/2 months old and he is just now comfortably eating the whole squares. You can also add the water and then leave it for 5 mins so it really soaks in and softens the ZP to make it easier for you.

I agree with Karen's suggestion of mixing in the frozen raw with the ZP. My dogs get ZP for breakfast then for dinner some raw meat mixed with about 1/2 the amount I would feed for breakfast of the ZP and they love it. Because the ZP is nutritionally balanced if that is going to be the majority of her diet you can just add in whatever meat (as long as it has no additives) you can find on sale to round out her diet which may work out cheaper for you that the frozen raw. Like the other day minced pork was on sale at my supermarket so I bought a few trays of that. I've left some ckicken breasts in my freezer too long and they're a bit freezer burnt so I will feed those over the next week or so. It keeps the variety in their diet and makes it affordable.

Good luck! you are giving her such a good start to life with such a healthy diet, yo're a good mum!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I've just ordered some ZP. They didn't have any venison one left so I had to get the venison and fish. Hopefully he'll like that as much as yours loves the ZP. I got him some of the venison jerky too. Think I'll start trying him on some raw when it's on offer like you suggested ozchi...can't wait to get him started on some good nutrition. Hopefully with the right food I'll have him with me for the next 20 years =)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you find the trial of ZP? Bianca wasn't crazy about The Honest Kitchen.
I got the free sample from a local kennel by me that sells ZP. I wrote to the company telling them that I really wanted to try their product and asked if they gave out free samples, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.