Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All
Im getting my first chihuahua/dog next weekend, and Im starting to feel very nervous! Im excited and Ive wanted a chihuahua for a long time, but as it gets closer to picking up my puppy Ive had a bit of anxiety. Is this normal? I just want to be a good mom to our puppy, and I find myself worrying about the usual things...potty training, being alone while Im at work, socializing. Although I do feel prepared, Ive researched the breed, chose a food, got ex-pen materials etc. I know all of these things will get easier with time, but has anyone else felt nervous before picking up their chi? I assume it subsides once Ive bonded with the dog, or should I be worried that Im making the wrong decision? Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Well, congrats on your new puppy!
I think most people go through an "OMG, what have I done phase!" when getting a new puppy. Usually just after they have chewed up an expensive pair of shoes or weed on the floor for the 20th time that day!LOL:D
I have 3 and with every single one I was convinced Id made a huge mistake for about the first 3 months. My last one I didnt even want to bond with her coz I thought I would take her back. Within 6 months though they all became my furkids and I couldnt imagine life without them. I love them all to a crazy degree.:)

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Well, congrats on your new puppy!
I think most people go through an "OMG, what have I done phase!" when getting a new puppy.

Ditto!! I have had Chihuahuas my whole life.... and feel that way when I get a puppy....

I am considering getting a 'brother' for Chico and already have those feelings of anxiety... but I know I will love him just as I love Chico...

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Don't worry, once your puppy cuddles up with you and does something really cute you will know you made the right choice! I know how anxiety goes though. After I got Penny, she screamed the whole first night and I was so tired and grumpy the next day. I was like "OMG, why did I get another dog?" After a nap, seeing her cuddle with Lion, and getting to know her personality, I just knew that I loved her :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I would say that if you DID NOT have these feelings that you should hold off and think it through some more.
The fact that you have thought through all that you have shown that you are not just making an emotional decision ("she was so cute at the pet store, I could not resist and now that she is home I am panicked") or an immature one ("all I want is a cute puppy that I can dress in clothes to match me every day-won't that be fun??").
You sound perfectly ready to me, but hey, I acquired 3 Chis in a matter of 10 months so I may just be crazy and you should listen to others here more than me! hahaha!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I would say that if you DID NOT have these feelings that you should hold off and think it through some more.
The fact that you have thought through all that you have shown that you are not just making an emotional decision ("she was so cute at the pet store, I could not resist and now that she is home I am panicked") or an immature one ("all I want is a cute puppy that I can dress in clothes to match me every day-won't that be fun??").
You sound perfectly ready to me, but hey, I acquired 3 Chis in a matter of 10 months so I may just be crazy and you should listen to others here more than me! hahaha!
Very good point! OP, it is obvious that you have thought your decision through considering you have done research and have everything prepared. It is normal to be nervous. Don't worry! :)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hey All
Im getting my first chihuahua/dog next weekend, and Im starting to feel very nervous! Im excited and Ive wanted a chihuahua for a long time, but as it gets closer to picking up my puppy Ive had a bit of anxiety. Is this normal? I just want to be a good mom to our puppy, and I find myself worrying about the usual things...potty training, being alone while Im at work, socializing. Although I do feel prepared, Ive researched the breed, chose a food, got ex-pen materials etc. I know all of these things will get easier with time, but has anyone else felt nervous before picking up their chi? I assume it subsides once Ive bonded with the dog, or should I be worried that Im making the wrong decision? Thanks guys!!!
I just got my first Chi, she hasn't even been with me 24 hours yet and I'm so nervous. I don't want to leave her side. When she's in her pen and I walk away, she whines and it breaks my heart. I guess that's something I'm going to have to work on tho because I can't lay in bed with her all day (except weekends :p Right now she's snuggled by by leg under a snuggie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts