Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How i love a gross conversation

Daisy has always slightly lifted her left leg when weeing.. not totally up like a boy to cock her leg but just hovers it about an inch off the ground.. i noticed earlier she also now does this when she poos.. Why??

She's not overly dominant.. she is trying to assert herself at the moment but i think its her age.. she always rolls over for other dogs and is submissive and if i correct her she automatically now rolls onto her side and licks me!!

She did randomly wee on a napkin that was in the park today and i was like huh are you marking.. she sniffed it and then squatted on it!!

It kinda looks a bit odd and really i'd like to know why she does it! I dont want to stop it because how she chooses to pee is really up to her but just wondering

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
haha i know what your on about! Zoey and Layla both do it!! I just thought it was so that they only got 1 paw wet instead of 2 haha. It probably isnt though!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha i know what your on about! Zoey and Layla both do it!! I just thought it was so that they only got 1 paw wet instead of 2 haha. It probably isnt though!
HAhahaha it looks strange doesn't it.. and when she's pooing i dunno how she balances she arches her back lifts and leg and uses her tail like a jack!! Its quite amusing really but i just dont understand why she does it ha ha

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hehe well, if you are going to spay her, you should do it soon because some females do lift their legs to pee if not fixed!

But...heh, Idk if Daisy is marking or just being a dog. Oakley was spayed at 6 months and never displayed any time of marking behavior but lately she will sniff and wee quite a few times versus just one big ol pee.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
omg thats traumatic if she did that i'd cry

LOL kristi thats marking!! Daisy never normally sniffs to wee just to poo!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Matilda has always been a leg lifter. I just think it's just an individual thing - not necessarily "marking". However, I swear one day I saw all 6 of my Chi's mark on the exact same spot in about 60 seconds flat. I nearly died laughing at that one....

I do think some female dogs mark. My grandfathers Pom we dog sit 2 weeks out of the year does this & it drives me bonkers! They're like dime sized spots & she's so quick about it. Marley is a scent marker so the 2 weeks she was here this spring I was constantly cleaning up pee. For every 1 pee spot a female does Marley does like 3-4...it was insane! We're still recovering from that one. LOL And no, the Pom isn't spayed so I'm sure when you spay Daisy the behavior will dissipate. Though to me it doesn't quite sound like actual marking...and it won't necessarily turn into marking either as Matilda never has marked but lifts her leg to potty. :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
My coco does it just like a boy not all the time but I have seen it and said ummmm ok LOL but she is a marker (only outside) but I think she lifts her leg to pee on top of where ricky pee'd

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe its just a Dog thing and not a gender thing as not all boys mark.

I'm actually gonna call my vet tomorrow to discuss spaying again!!

Heather i think i would have been going nuts and want to pee on the spot myself hahahaahaha.. My friend threatened that once their cat got the hump coz they got a puppy and all it did was spray everywhere so her dog then peed.. their mat in the hallway was rotten so had to be binned!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yucky about the mat! I'd be scrappin it too - I despise urine smell in the house (I don't know what is worse, cat urine or intact male dog urine). Bleck! Thank goodness our marking spee was outside. My pups are good about using the doggy door to potty. Maya is still learning of course though generally does great but if she has an accident & Marley finds it before me...I have like 4-5 pee spots to clean. :roll: He's obviously a big scent marker. Other than that though Marley has gotten MUCH better with marking since our pup house guest has gone home. Thank goodness for linolium & hardwood floors. I could never ever do it with carpeting!! LOL

Good luck with talking to your vet. I'll be curious to hear what they say! :)

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Stella has recently picked up leg lifting - occasionally.

When Carlos was quite old, it became easier for him to do the
squat than the leg lift.

Joie and Mateo do the full on ballarina leg lift - one pointing at the ground, one pointing at the sky - lol

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yucky about the mat! I'd be scrappin it too - I despise urine smell in the house (I don't know what is worse, cat urine or intact male dog urine). Bleck! Thank goodness our marking spee was outside. My pups are good about using the doggy door to potty. Maya is still learning of course though generally does great but if she has an accident & Marley finds it before me...I have like 4-5 pee spots to clean. :roll: He's obviously a big scent marker. Other than that though Marley has gotten MUCH better with marking since our pup house guest has gone home. Thank goodness for linolium & hardwood floors. I could never ever do it with carpeting!! LOL

Good luck with talking to your vet. I'll be curious to hear what they say! :)
Hahahah Marley is funny.. it would do my head in.. we have ceramic and wood floors downstairs carpet upstairs.. I wouldn't let Daisy on the floor upstairs til i was confident she didn't need a wee ha ha..

I've been researching into spaying before season and i think i'd be more comfortable so going to ask him to do it.. if he won't then i dont know what to do i don't really wanna go to another vet i dont know but i suppose i'll come to that when i get there

Stella has recently picked up leg lifting - occasionally.

When Carlos was quite old, it became easier for him to do the
squat than the leg lift.

Joie and Mateo do the full on ballarina leg lift - one pointing at the ground, one pointing at the sky - lol
Hahahaha you should put a tutu on them just for effect obviously not to degrade their 'machoness'

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG she does that when she' poo's literally pads each leg one after the other.. ITS WIERD

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahahaha no she doesn't move.. she literally squats lifts one leg up puts it down, lifts the other leg up puts it down and repeats whilst her tail wiggles up and down (she uses it like a car jack!!).. its quite funny to watch.. oh and she also stares at me every time as if to say mummy are you watching look i's a good girl!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Hahahaha no she doesn't move.. she literally squats lifts one leg up puts it down, lifts the other leg up puts it down and repeats whilst her tail wiggles up and down (she uses it like a car jack!!).. its quite funny to watch.. oh and she also stares at me every time as if to say mummy are you watching look i's a good girl!
Hahaha you are a good girl daisy! I feel embarrassed if I watch my dogs doing their business! Dont ask me why, i have no idea! :confused:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts