Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's very common for male dogs to mark both inside and outside the house but I haven't heard the same about females. Is it actually a common thing?

I'm asking mainly because I have a 3 year old spayed female Chihuahua (Glory) who has a pretty dominant personality and she marks all the time. She marks outside, on walks, and most problematic is she also marks inside the house. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out how to stop the indoor marking. She's spayed and she's female...what? :confused:

Any ideas or help would be most appreciated. Is this common? I can't watch her every second of the day and I don't want to leave her crated when I can't watch her.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'd say you'll have to keep her crated or in an xpen when you're unable to watch her. Or maybe even keep her tethered to you. I'd correct a female marking behavior the same I would a male & those are the two things I'd do. But you'll have to correct it every time it happens in order to see an improvement.

My females mark outside as bad as the boys do. Not on walks though...I don't allow them time to mark or potty at that, on walks.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
My girls mark outside (even the baby) and scent mark!! Daisy marks if there's rubbish on the floor somewhere

Not sure about inside tho but I'd leash her

·
Registered
881 Posts
Lolly lifts her leg to mark thing when she's out side but she doesn't do it indoors (maybe she does and we blame Perry lolol)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lavender, who is a very girly girl, but also an alpha girl, will mark outside, but not inside. She follows behind Cosmo outdoors and marks over where he marked sometimes. Neither of them mark inside, thank goodness.

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, am I the only one with a female indoor marking problem? :( At least now I know her outdoor marking is normal.

I'd say you'll have to keep her crated or in an xpen when you're unable to watch her. Or maybe even keep her tethered to you. I'd correct a female marking behavior the same I would a male & those are the two things I'd do. But you'll have to correct it every time it happens in order to see an improvement.

My females mark outside as bad as the boys do. Not on walks though...I don't allow them time to mark or potty at that, on walks.

The problem with her indoor marking is that she sneaks off to another room to do it or waits until we leave the room to mark so I haven't been able to catch her "in the act" which is half the problem since I can't correct the moment she does it. After she marks she slinks around the house with her ears back and walking very low to the ground like she knows she did wrong which is often my indicator to do a house check.

It is definitely marking and not a full bladder or anything and she's got a clean bill of health from the vet so it's not a health issue either. She's also housetrained and does her business outside but for some reason she regularly feels the need to mark inside. I'm up and down the stairs at home all day and she's got luxating patellas so I can't tether her to me and I don't have any pens to put her in, only crates which I use at night and when I am not at home. Hubby will not go for a pen idea in the house, he doesn't want more dog stuff in the house since we've already got two large crates, one XL for our husky and a large with a divider for our chi girls.

I hate to leave her crated when I'm home though. I do take her outside to do her business and/or for walks at least 4-6 times throughout the day. Pretty much she goes out about every 2-4 hours, her potty schedule is 7:00 AM, 11:30 AM, 3:30 PM, 6:00 PM, and again just before bed which can vary. I have noticed that taking long walks first thing in the morning helps decrease the marking in the house simply because she completely empties herself marking everything outside on our walks. However with the mornings getting colder and colder I'm afraid she won't be able to take such long morning walks for much longer and I don't want to see an increase in indoor marking. Tomorrow morning will be 48 degrees (Fahrenheit) so I don't think she'll be able to tolerate a 2 mile walk in those temps...can she? I have to do my morning walk regardless because my husky NEEDS the exercise so I do my normal morning walk with my sibe whether the chi girls come or not.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know you don't want to crate her when you're home but if it were me I would bite the bullet and do it. She would be tethered to me as much as possible and if I had to run upstairs I would crate her. I think the key is not to look at this as a permanent solution but a training method that won't last forever. As she becomes more trustworthy you can allow her off her tether but she's not allowed to leave the room you are in, but if you go upstairs she still goes into her crate. And so on until the training is done.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, you're probably right. I will probably use the crate a bit more for now until she becomes more trustworthy. She spends the majority of the day in her crate as it already, although the door is always open so she can come and go at will.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I keep my girls very restricted, I keep doors closed or gated. They're with me in what ever room I'm in, they don't get free access to the house and I think that keeps them in check. It's a bit of a pain at times like if I have to go up stairs then I have to carry them and what ever else I want up stairs so sometimes two trips up and down.
I think when the have free access to the house they think they are in control.

My girls mark to it's certainly not something I used to associate with females.
My girls are litter box trained and they will pee over each other's urine.
Both my girls will hump to.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Leila is not a dominant dog, she is just the opposite. But twice now she has jumped up and peed on my daughters boyfriend. The first time i thought it was excitement and she hasn't been very reliable with not pottying in the house. Sometimes she squirts a bit when you reach down to pick her up, so i chalked it up to excitement. But this time she jumped on him peed and jumped down. I know she likes him so im confused what is up. I am starting to think this is marking. And she has been doing excellent lately with not having any accidents and even though excitement peeing has pretty much disappeared.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm really going to step up my efforts. Glory had free run of the house today and marked inside twice, in two different spots. Sorry to say but she's been restricted to her crate the rest of the evening that I wasn't able to keep an eye on her. If we didn't have windows open throughout the house then I would gladly close doors but right now all the windows are open all day long and it would defeat the purpose to have them closed off. I do have baby gates to block off rooms too but she would still have plenty of areas to mark outside of my line of sight if she wanted. She never used to mark at all and suddenly she's doing it more and more frequently, today is the first time she marks inside twice in one day. :(

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
OMG YES!!!! Colette my toy poodle has just started marking inside my house over the past couple of days. She is 2 1/2 and has been spayed since she was like 5 months old and like I said this just started about 2 or 3 days ago so I don't know what brought on this sudden change of behavior. It started though when we had a lot of rain the other day and she HATES to go outside and do her business in the rain and the little monster pooed right in front of the doggie door when she peeked out and saw it was raining and then ever since then she has been marking. And it is marking too instead of actually having to go because the little bugger lifts her leg and pees just a little (instead of her flooding pee when she potties). Tonight she even did it in the middle of the living room floor when my parents were over and it too wasn't excitement pee because she was just casually walking around the living room. I guess it looks like I will be bringing my extra crate into the living room and crating her then until she gets it in her head it's not cool to pee inside the house. *sigh* I can see that is not going to go over very well right now though, because she is going to be ticked if she is locked up and Chloe is running around the living room. Tonight after she did it I picked her up and made her go out the doggie door and I closed the doggie door so I could clean it up and she happily stayed out (because it hasn't been raining for two days now) in the backyard romping around and barking at the neighbor dogs, etc.... Then since was content I just left her in the backyard and just let her in at bedtime and put her and Chloe in their crates. I hate to leave her locked out in the backyard while I'm not home, but the backyard is better than her crate, but I can't trust her now. *sigh*

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OMG YES!!!! Colette my toy poodle has just started marking inside my house over the past couple of days. She is 2 1/2 and has been spayed since she was like 5 months old and like I said this just started about 2 or 3 days ago so I don't know what brought on this sudden change of behavior. It started though when we had a lot of rain the other day and she HATES to go outside and do her business in the rain and the little monster pooed right in front of the doggie door when she peeked out and saw it was raining and then ever since then she has been marking. And it is marking too instead of actually having to go because the little bugger lifts her leg and pees just a little (instead of her flooding pee when she potties). Tonight she even did it in the middle of the living room floor when my parents were over and it too wasn't excitement pee because she was just casually walking around the living room. I guess it looks like I will be bringing my extra crate into the living room and crating her then until she gets it in her head it's not cool to pee inside the house. *sigh* I can see that is not going to go over very well right now though, because she is going to be ticked if she is locked up and Chloe is running around the living room. Tonight after she did it I picked her up and made her go out the doggie door and I closed the doggie door so I could clean it up and she happily stayed out (because it hasn't been raining for two days now) in the backyard romping around and barking at the neighbor dogs, etc.... Then since was content I just left her in the backyard and just let her in at bedtime and put her and Chloe in their crates. I hate to leave her locked out in the backyard while I'm not home, but the backyard is better than her crate, but I can't trust her now. *sigh*
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this too but I'm also glad I'm not the only one with this experience. Our Glory started marking for the first time about 7 weeks ago and since then it's just been happening more and more frequently. :( I wish it was a simple fix like taking her out more often which you can do with potty training but it isn't potty that she's doing. She lifts her leg and lets out a little spritz. Lately I've had to leave the Pet Urine carpet cleaner out all the time since I've been using it so much. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought I'd post an update since it's been over 2 weeks since posting about this issue, for anyone that might be interested in knowing how it's been going.

So I've been putting Glory in her crate whenever I cannot watch her and I also have restricted her to the first floor almost exclusively. The reason for not letting her on the second floor is because that's where she was marking the most.

She is crated for maybe 2-3 hours a day but that is not all at once, I let her out regularly so she is rarely in her crate for more than 30-45 minutes at a time. Since I started using the crate when I can't watch her and only allowing her on the first floor we have not had a single indoor marking incident since I last posted over two weeks ago! :hello1:

This is going very well and I've been allowing her to have more and more freedom as we go longer and longer without any indoor marking. Lately I've been allowing her to be unsupervised for 30 minutes at a time and no marking yet. I've also been allowing her on the second floor WITH close supervision and again no marking so far. I am so happy! :D

I just hope this continues and that I can eventually trust her with full run of the house one day without worrying about her marking.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That's great to hear Val! My boy hasn't started marking indoors or out (fingers crossed) he even still wees like a girl. My girl however, she marks outside like CRAZY and i've caught her inside a couple times, don't know how I missed this thread.

She hasn't marked recently and I wonder if it was just because we brought the boy into the house, but it was a pain.

Great progress!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts