Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Feo in at the vet the other week, he had really bad itching. It has been coming back, on and off since august. But had flared up in the past few weeks. The first vet I saw was convinced it was his anal glads (I had overlooked this, I thought they wouldn't get blocked with him eating raw). She flead him just incase (I check his fur regularly and frontline monthly) and gave him steroids.

It seemed to go away for a few weeks then he started itching and chewing himself alot again, and he is chewwed his thighs so much he is losing his hair on his thighs :( I took him back to the vet (I saw a different person this time) who did his anal glands again but said he didn't think that was the problem. He said he has dermatitis and gave him the same steroids again, but they didn't sit well with Feo at all this time. He was off his food and had blood in his poos.

Now he has only finished his steroids two days again and his itching and biting himself has exploded. In the past few hours have been bad. He has a cut part on the front of the top of his front leg. He has scratched his head so much that the skin is bleading and I hate to see him in discomfort like this.

The vet said it could be one of a few causes-
-a food allergy ( I feed raw so he has a fairly simple diet, he ate all the foods he eats now before the itching started so I don't think its a food allergy)

-He causght fleas at a fun dog show in august- I flead him with the only thing I could get at a shop where I was staying which was bob martin topical solution, the next day he stil had live fleas so I had to use a bob martin flea shampoo that i bought. - The vet said he could have had an allergic reaction to the cheap flea shampoo- or that he could be allergic to flea saliva- and still be suffering the effects of flea bites all these months later.

I will take him back to the vet but they just seem to keep throwing steroin prescriptions at me evry time I go, they dont cure the problem and I know they are not good for the body.

Has anyone experianced this or can anyone shed any light??? :confused:

xxx

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Pedro had some really severe skin problems when we first got him. Steroids didn't touch it, and only made his disposition a bit grumpier than usual.

After trying antihistamines and steroids, as well as medicated shampoos, the vet finally suggested we add olive oil to his food 2-3 times a week. The skin problems began to improve immediately, and were resolved within 2 weeks. They have not reoccured.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
could be flea bite dermatitis, I've heard it can last for months. Zoey was a little itchy and I started giving her Coconut Oil and Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar and both have done wonders for her itchiness.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Sounds like severe allergies to me. You could have them do bloodwork to find out what he's allergic to. I went through this with my chi & wished I had done the blood work from the beginning instead of letting them give her all those steroid shots. We're still on the road to recovery, but at least I know what's going on.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to feed coconut oil and salmon oil every other day but it didn'y help. I will try olive oil, how much did you sugest? like a teaspoon? The vet has never mentioned doing blood tests, if it doesn't improve I will ask for it.

I am just scared because when I worked at the dogs shelter therte were dogs that had fleas that had been neglected, and some of them had damaged their skin so badly through itching and biting that it scarred and their fur didnt grow back. I'm being a worried mummy now :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Can you give us a sample menu for what you have been feeding? Maybe his diet needs tweaked a little.

I would try coconut oil and I would keep him on the salmon oil as well. Over in the UK is a really good skin/coat supplement. I can't remember the name. Maybe yumega oil? Many people over there use it and like it. It does have plant oils in it like flax.

Skin problems are soooooooo frustrating!! I had them with our frenchie and believe me, there were times I could have torn my own hair out as she was itching/scratching.

Make SURE that you are not feeding any enhanced meats also. Sodium has to be 100mg or less per 4 ounces. I've heard of people not checking that closely and having the same problem! Sodium = itching.

But get us a sample menu (say for a typical week) and maybe we can help?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I used to feed coconut oil and salmon oil every other day but it didn'y help. I will try olive oil, how much did you sugest? like a teaspoon? The vet has never mentioned doing blood tests, if it doesn't improve I will ask for it.

I am just scared because when I worked at the dogs shelter therte were dogs that had fleas that had been neglected, and some of them had damaged their skin so badly through itching and biting that it scarred and their fur didnt grow back. I'm being a worried mummy now :(
The thing with giving your chi any kind of oil; coconut, olive, salmon is that the benefits are not seen over night. These oils take time to help the body. If I cook eggs for my chi, instead of using butter or margerine, I coat the pan with a little olive oil so the eggs don't stick. I've started using Nupro Powder and my chi really likes it. It's supposed to be vitamins & help with allergies. I don't know if it's helping but I know she likes it and it isn't hurting.

My vet said she had suggested doing an allergy blood test when I asked her why she never told me about it. She never told me. I got to my wits end with how itchy & miserable Midgie was & asked for the allergy blood test. Best thing I ever did. I would have saved myself a lot of money and saved Midgie from all those shots if I did the Blood test right from the beginning, but I'm still learning too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started just giving coconut oil (extra virgin) and salmon oil before his problems began, I have stopped now, but he had them for about 5 months. When I had to wash him in cheap nasty flea shampoo a few months back, it left his coat soo brittle and horrible from all the chemicals, I slicked a tiny bit of coconut oil on his fur, the next day his itching was BAD. So I thought at the time it could be either the coconut oil, the flea saliva, or the sheap flea shampoo that caused the reaction. I have fed it since but I am cautious about it now incase he is sensitive to the coconut oil.

I have tried looking for NUPRO since I saw Tracy raving about how good it was for Brody, but I cannot get it in this contry for love nor money. I will ask my vet about allergy tests. I don't really have a good opinion of my vets, they seem to just be intent on prescribing harsh drugs, and I wonder if it is just motivated by money. I don't drive though, and it isn't really feasible to go to a vet in another area, this one is the closest and is quite a bus ride away already. How much do the allergy tests cost on average? Just so I have an idea ? xx

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried amazon, but Amazon US and UK are different, and they will onyl deliver it to me for a fee of about £25 (40 dollares?). Later last night he was making his head and ear bleed with the scratching and ijust couldnt get him to stop. I suffer from eczema sometimes, so I put a little bit of my eczema cream on his head to soothe it, it seems to have gone down abit today, but I can't really put it on his body, his fur is too thick. I am cutting out any food extras he could be allregic to, like denta-sticks and told my family strictly not to give him tid bits.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I tried amazon, but Amazon US and UK are different, and they will onyl deliver it to me for a fee of about £25 (40 dollares?). Later last night he was making his head and ear bleed with the scratching and ijust couldnt get him to stop. I suffer from eczema sometimes, so I put a little bit of my eczema cream on his head to soothe it, it seems to have gone down abit today, but I can't really put it on his body, his fur is too thick. I am cutting out any food extras he could be allregic to, like denta-sticks and told my family strictly not to give him tid bits.
Be careful what you put on him as he will try to lick it off & somethings could be toxic to animals. You can give Benedryl. My chi is 7 lbs & I give 1/4 of an adult tablet. It's like 1 mg to every 1 lb & an adult tablet is 12 mg. Benedryl really helps my chi to stop itching for a while. Although this is a temporary solution, you really need to find out what's causing his itching whether it is eczema or allergies. Many dogs are developing allergies due to low quality foods on the market that contain wheat, corn, & oats as these are all fillers that the companies use to sell their dog foods so cheap. It has no protein value for the dogs & is creating tons of health issues all over the world. There are many threads on here about dogs suffering from eating these foods. You shouldn't buy any foods with by-products as these contain all the scraps that are left over from the good quality meat. These scraps can contain bone, feathers, hooves & even teeth from any kind of slaughtered animal and they are putting this into the dogs food. One thing I have learned as a rule of thumb when looking for a good quality food is the first three ingrediants should contain real meat, Turkey, Chicken, Lamb, etc. This forum is a wealth of information and success stories of people learning what to feed & what not to feed and how their animals have progressed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only put the cream on his forehead where he couldn't reach to lick it off, so it was ok. I have fed raw now since summer so he does't get pet food anymore. I do however give him pedigree dentastix for his teeth and Rawhide chews, I give him the rawhide chews to keep him occupied while he is inside. Are they ok or coukld they be part of the problem?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I don't feed rawhide chews as I believe in my opinion & experience that they are no good for dogs. They constipate them, can cause choking & are coated with flavoring so the dog will eat them. The ones that aren't coated still have the constipation factor. There was someone else in the forum yesterday looking for homemade healthy treats instead. I sometimes give my chi a carrot, brocoli, cauliflower. I don't give her treats as I buy her discounted meat from my local grocery story. Like slivers of steak that I mix in with her Honest Kitchen food and I might add an egg once and a while. To her, this is a treat. I have learned that the key to everything you give your chi and put on your chi is to READ THE LABEL INGREDIANTS!! Just because it's says on the front of the package 100% Good Quality or something like that doesn't mean anything. They can say whatever they want, but they are required by law to put the exact ingrediants on every product. It takes some learning to know what to look for in the ingrediants. I still don't know everything and I'm still learning.
We don't use toothpaste in my house no more. I found out from this forum that toothpaste contains rat poison. It's true. Don't take my word for it--do the research! Google it. My twin 5 year olds love being able to make our own toothpaste now.
I hate that your baby is miserable and hope you can find some relief soon. Benedryl has been my best friend with my chi while I've been trying to relieve her allergy suffering.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
While I agree rawhide is subpar, I've let my dogs enjoy them here and there under close supervision and constant access to water.

Dentastix however made my girl insanely sick. She puked everywhere, and had severe runs. They didn't agree with her at all.

I agree with Tracy and maybe you should take a look at his diet, I believe - i'm not 100% but I think allergies can be developed overtime. So perhaps something he wasn't allergic to 5 months ago, now upsets him?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I don't think it's the raw. I would stop the dentistix and rawhide for a while and see if his itching stops or slows down. With allergies, it's a process of system of elimination.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts