Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to a fall festival today, spent the whole day there. Weather was beautiful.
Naturally my sweet leila came with us. There were many dogs there and lots of chis. :D We got to meet a few. Leila growled a little at one of them, i was so embarassed:oops: she got a poke for that.lol.
One of the chis was really fixed up but very unfriendly. She growled at us. It was very funny they were pushing this tall cart thing on wheels to put the stuff they bought in and she was on the top of the stuff with her fronts paws on the handle while she was standing*(like she was driving it)* she had on a blingy collar, blingy bracelets(i am serious) an outfit, and shades (oh they were neat) and she was so small and made leila look like a porker. Then the other three that we actually *met* we're also smaller than leila. Made me feel bad and they were all older than her. :( She looked like a giant pork sausage LOL :laughing8: She had fun and got tons of exercise. I carried her sometimes and she walked sometimes, depending on the crowds, etc. :D she is fast asleep now:)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Sounds like you had a really good time. Poor Leila - she doesn't look like a pork sausage! I would say it's more like the other Chi's were vienna sausages. LOL I love the little doggie sunglasses, but man are those things expensive and I can almost bet Chloe wouldn't keep them on a minute and Colette wouldn't even let me put them on her at all. We are going on a doggie 5k walk next weekend - it's to raise money for the local SPCA and there is going to be lot's of booths, prize drawings and even Tyson the skateboarding bulldog will be there preforming so it should be lots of fun.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you had a really good time. Poor Leila - she doesn't look like a pork sausage! I would say it's more like the other Chi's were vienna sausages. LOL I love the little doggie sunglasses, but man are those things expensive and I can almost bet Chloe wouldn't keep them on a minute and Colette wouldn't even let me put them on her at all. We are going on a doggie 5k walk next weekend - it's to raise money for the local SPCA and there is going to be lot's of booths, prize drawings and even Tyson the skateboarding bulldog will be there preforming so it should be lots of fun.
WOW that sounds fun. skateboarding bulldog sounds so cute, how fun!!! :D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Okay, I just found those pink sunglasses on eBay for only $12.20 with free shipping. Since they have three straps I don't think Chloe will be able to just knock them off right away and once she has something on for a few minutes she gets used to it so I am sure she'll leave these on and hey gotta protect my babies eyes when we go on our 5k walk next weekend - so hopefully they will be here before then! LOL

Yea Tyson the skateboarding bulldog was on that reality show a few years back - I think was called Top Dog or something like that. He didn't win but he is way more famous now than even the winner of that show. Each year now he even has a specially made parade float in the Rose Parade and he skateboards on the floats even. So it should be lots of fun next weeked. We just went today and registered for the walk and got a goodie bag with all kinds of doggie treats and food samples in it. I hope the weather cools down though and it's not this hot next weekend!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
You need to look at the overall picture she's slightly overweight as a puppy as an adult se could end up obese which lowers their life span puts pressure on their joints which can cause lp and all sorts and they enjoy it!! Do you not walk your other dogs either?? Just take them all out for a pack walk it's like an hour out your day

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No sarah we don't walk them regularly. Lucy is horrible to walk she pulls and chokes herself the entire time. Winston has hip dysplasia so too much exercise for him causes him to have trouble getting around. He and lucy run around the back yard alot during the day, neither of them are overweight. If leila stays chubby then i will diet her, but not until she is out of puppyhood. She only gets 3/8 cup food a day now, but occasionally steals a piece or two of lucy's food. I have to keep putting it on the counter to keep her out. I am going to start walking her more.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Then the other three that we actually *met* we're also smaller than leila. Made me feel bad and they were all older than her. :( She looked like a giant pork sausage LOL :laughing8:
I think if you walked her and cut back her food she would loose some of the weight.

NIf leila stays chubby then i will diet her, but not until she is out of puppyhood. She only gets 3/8 cup food a day now, but occasionally steals a piece or two of lucy's food. I have to keep putting it on the counter to keep her out. I am going to start walking her more.
I just noticed this, so you are essentially feeding her 6 tablespoons of food per day. To give you a comparison, AJ is a bit older than her and he eats 4 tablespoons per day, Bijou even smaller and 5 weeks younger than AJ eats only 2 tablespoons of food per day.

I would definitely cut her food back, the guidelines on the kibble bags are so vague and in many instances it calls for the same amount of food for a 3 pound or 20 pound dog of the same age.
In my personal opinion she is getting too much food, factored in with less activity making her chubby. The main concern with Chi's of course is obesity and stress on her joints.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I give her 1/8 3 x day. I haven't put her to 2 meals a day yet.
The bag recommends 1/2 to 3/4 c. day on the low end for her size. And 3/8 is less than that. So I thought i was feeding her correctly.
What do you think she should be eating a day? She's probably 6 lbs by now and yes she is chubby as i can't really see or feel ribs, but she is only 6 mos. too.
She always acts starved after she eats, poor girl. I just hate it! :(
She is on Orijen puppy.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If she was mine, she would be getting no more than 1/4 cup a day single feeding.
If you give her treats or anything that is over and above.
I think it's so easy to overfeed them but they have really tiny stomachs!
Bijou is a little pig like Leila, he would eat until he exploded if I let him.. LMAO
He is always sniffing around looking for food, AJ not so much, but he's had his routine for ever.
Anything they do not eat at feeding time I take the bowl away and offer it back later.
I've noticed with Bijou it's more of an oral fixation, if he's got chewies or bones he is very happy to gnaw away on those.

I think some dogs eat from boredom.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Leila is overweight, even for a puppy!! I don't understand dry food amounts but I sound like a broken bloody record but she needs structured exercise isn't enough. I know you love her but frankly you will end up killing her with love. She should have a defined waist and she doesn't she's completely straight.

If Lucy is a pain to walk put a harness on her, teach her to walk properly I don't know much about hip displasia but a structured walk is better for him and less likely to cause damage than him chasing Lucy round the garden. It's up to you what you do but dieting leila won't fix the problem, yes you need to cut back to the correct amount but that alone will not get the weight off!! I sound harsh but it's the truth it is not good for her physically or mentally not to have regular exercise.

With the hunger dogs are scavengers my two will search for crumbs at other peoples houses and act like I don't feed them, they are fed their 3 meals and may get a low fat treat occasionally but that is it! They also both get their exercise lotus gets half an hour a day due to her age and get joints developing daisy gets an hour we prob walk just over two miles a day (lotus does half of it and gets carried the rest).

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think some dogs eat from boredom.
Sadly just like us humans. I have been on a diet myself and I have had to take all my snacks out of my desk at work because if it's slow here at work all I want to is eat and I am sure our pups are the same way. So now if I get "bored" I grab a bottle of water and start drinking. I have noticed too that Chloe and Colette will eat far less when they have their chewies so that tells me they really aren't hungry that they just want to chew on something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts