Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through other dog forums, I just came across few new things about worming, new to me.

1) is that true that you have to worm a dog 10-14 days before annual boosters.

2) is that true that you have to change worming tablets every time or every other time, because their system (or worms) gets use to the one you use all the time and doesn't work any more?

3) is it possible to do fecal tests to see if your dog needs worming or not?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
1) is that true that you have to worm a dog 10-14 days before annual boosters.

Hmmm, hadn't heard that before but since both can act as toxins/insults to the dogs system, I don't recommend worming/vaccines within about a month of each other.

2) is that true that you have to change worming tablets every time or every other time, because their system (or worms) gets use to the one you use all the time and doesn't work any more?

Not true

3) is it possible to do fecal tests to see if your dog needs worming or not?
Definitely have a fecal test done to see if it needs worming, no need to give it a poison (dewormer) if it doesn't need it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for clearing this :)
How is the fecal test done? Is that like with urine, I have to collect in the morning?

·
Registered
410 Posts
yes i have also heard that you have to use a different tablets each time and i asked my vet and he said that it is not necessery but if one wormer does not work then change it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I really don't know to be honest, I've never had parasite issues with my dogs, My oldest dog was wormed before I adopted him that was in (1998) and he's never had worms since.
My Chi's: AJ was never wormed and has never had them, and Bijou was wormed several times (his breeder has a program) and he's never had any since he has been here.

I have panacur? I think it's called in the cupboard should an issue ever present but I don't think my dogs are high risk, clearly as evidenced by their current status.
I should also mention I do not use any flea preventative and my dogs have never had fleas either.
I think you need to consider where you live, what kind of exposure the dogs have etc.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
You can take in a very fresh stool sample, or the Vet will use a probe to collect a bit. I always let my vet do it. But we have never had worm problems. We do use Heart worm meds once every 45 days, and it also treats other intestinal parasites should there be any. I don’t recommend regular worming. It’s a toxin you are giving them, so unless they actually get them, I wouldn’t use the meds.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you :)
I might try the test next time.
And how many times per year do you have to do the test to make sure they don't have worms? Every 6 months like worming?

At the moment we use Advocate during the summer and then worming every 6 months. But I really hate to poison the this way so will try the fecal test next time.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I didnt know about testing, I just worm Honey every month when she is due.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The vet gives Rico the wormer at intervals, maybe twice a year...

If the dog is running with , or playing with other animals--the risk is higher. If they are near livestock or on farm lands or any soil that other anilmals come in to contact with I'd do it.

In the city --I am not so concvinced that they need it often. If it is cold and there is no soil--concrete and not other animals lesser chance of worms.

Funny story...my friends Dad used to worm the dogs, horsed and kids (children) with the same medicine !! Don't ask what it was because we have no idea--but they lived on a farm. It was ages ago in Ireland. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts