Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for a long time now I have been wanting a long coat chi, although the type I was after was specific. So I always said 'if one comes up its fate if not its not to be' and then out of the blue I came across one exactly like I wanted! A 14 week old blue tri colour girl with a friendly outgoing temperament, charted to be a perfect weight to breed and with show potential and to top it all off she was only two hours away!
I don't think an opportunity like this would come up again especially not anytime soon and I love the idea of all my pups growing up together so last night me and my other half went to visit the litter. The breeder was excellent very experienced. So we decided to give this perfect little girl a home and name her Duchess

She has settled it really well already and has had both injections so she's allowed outside. I'm in puppy heaven!
It's nice that they are all just keeping each other occupied, it's sounds crazy but it's actually easier the more you have they all copy off millie and play with each other.
Duchess has bonded alot with gucci, pixie and Darcy have there own little bond I think this could be since they're sisters.
I have decided now though that she is 100% my final chi, I think five is definitely enough now so that's my gang complete and i couldn't be happier with them all!

Here are some photos of Duchess.

This is her dad

This is her mam

So having a long coat is forgein to me! When should I expect her to blow her coat? And how long will it take for it to come in?

Also does anyone find that the way short coats are to the way long coats are is in personality is different? Or is this just the actual dogs personality/temperament?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Eeeeeee I love puppy photos!!!

I miss when Neeva had that look, when I first got her she was just this little ball of fluff exactly like Duchess (love the name) You'll loving having an Lc its so much fun watching them grow!! She is gorgeous though, she'll be stunning I love her markings! And I'm totally in love with the mam but I am partial to black and tans ;) Gorgeous!!! You're giving me puppy fever lol!!!

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eeeeeee I love puppy photos!!!

I miss when Neeva had that look, when I first got her she was just this little ball of fluff exactly like Duchess (love the name) You'll loving having an Lc its so much fun watching them grow!! She is gorgeous though, she'll be stunning I love her markings! And I'm totally in love with the mam but I am partial to black and tans
Gorgeous!!! You're giving me puppy fever lol!!!
I love her so much! It's actually suprising how different she is compared to my short coats. She isn't as bothered about having a cuddle she will happily just play with her toys or chase millie. She is beautiful you would love her :D as soon as I saw her the name popped into my head I think she really suits it! The mam was amazing she had a lovely temperament and was outstanding the picture doesn't do her justice she's stunning!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Welcome to the long coat club finally! You and I have talked about this already and atlast it has come true. Duchess is absolutely stunning. I love the name and her coloring. How pleasing to hear how well the pups are getting along, I knew things would go smooth.
There is no difference in temperament between long coat and smooth coat chi's because of coat length, but rather their individual personalities. However, the one and only difference is how amazing their coats change over the next couple years. Also they just have a certain gracefulness about them once that coat comes in that just makes you fall crazy in love and want more! I don't blame you 5 being the last. I told myself my 5th will be my cut off too. Love Duchess! You must be over the moon!

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the long coat club finally! You and I have talked about this already and atlast it has come true. Duchess is absolutely stunning. I love the name and her coloring. How pleasing to hear how well the pups are getting along, I knew things would go smooth.
There is no difference in temperament between long coat and smooth coat chi's because of coat length, but rather their individual personalities. However, the one and only difference is how amazing their coats change over the next couple years. Also they just have a certain gracefulness about them once that coat comes in that just makes you fall crazy in love and want more! I don't blame you 5 being the last. I told myself my 5th will be my cut off too. Love Duchess! You must be over the moon!
Yay I'm so glad to be part of the long coat club :D I'm glad you like her I knew you would isn't she beautiful.
Yep five is enough, I am over the moon!
Al the pups just think she's some sort of teddy bear hot water bottle they just cuddle into her for warmth it's so cute! And duchess loves been outside exploring I'm guessing this is because she doesn't get as cold as the other pups. How long do you think it will take for her coat to start falling out?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The "puppy uglies" stage is between 4 and 8 months of age. That is the start of when they blow their coats and the time in which a new coat starts to come back in. It takes two years or more for the coat to reach its full length. Take loads of pictures of her! Cause it can be tough to tell the changes because you get so used to seeing her everyday. But then when you reflect back on pics you can see the changes. I use a wide tooth brush for combing tail fur and ear fringe ( once it's long) and a soft baby brush for regular grooming. Start getting her used to baths and a hair dryer on low, and just having her coat handled in general. Another thing I love is that since they have more hair, long coats fur tend to hold the sweet smell of their shampoo days longer than a smooth coat.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yay long coat! Before Gizmo two years ago, I thought I "didn't like" the long coat Chis, but Gizmo changed my mind pretty quickly! It was love at first sight when I saw him as a puppy, and now we're totally converted.

She's a beautiful girl!!! Lol she looks so much different than Finley, at the same age right now...he's an early bloomer it seems and started blowing out his puppy coat weeks ago, at about 3 months of age.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Congrats, she is beautiful! I love her name. You're going to love having a long coat. Look forward to watching her grow and coat changes in the upcoming months.

Here I'm still stressing about possibly adding a 3rd for multiple reasons, but it's seeing these beautiful puppies that make me really think, do I want an almost 2 year old or a puppy if I'm going to add a third. God bless you for having 4 puppies now at the same time. I'm sure in a lot of respects it is easier as they can learn together and copy each other.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The "puppy uglies" stage is between 4 and 8 months of age. That is the start of when they blow their coats and the time in which a new coat starts to come back in. It takes two years or more for the coat to reach its full length. Take loads of pictures of her! Cause it can be tough to tell the changes because you get so used to seeing her everyday. But then when you reflect back on pics you can see the changes. I use a wide tooth brush for combing tail fur and ear fringe ( once it's long) and a soft baby brush for regular grooming. Start getting her used to baths and a hair dryer on low, and just having her coat handled in general. Another thing I love is that since they have more hair, long coats fur tend to hold the sweet smell of their shampoo days longer than a smooth coat.
So look as if she will be approaching this stage now as she is 14 weeks (3 and a half months) I will be sure to take plenty photos to keep track of her progress.

Yeah I've been using a soft baby brush at the moment on her, she had a bath last night when I got her home and she loved the bath which I was surprised with as my other pups don't like it. Yeah I noticed that about them holding the smell of shampoo more I used a puppy powder spray on her last night and I can still smell it now.

Do you have any photos of your bunch at the 'ugly' stage?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yay long coat! Before Gizmo two years ago, I thought I "didn't like" the long coat Chis, but Gizmo changed my mind pretty quickly! It was love at first sight when I saw him as a puppy, and now we're totally converted.

She's a beautiful girl!!! Lol she looks so much different than Finley, at the same age right now...he's an early bloomer it seems and started blowing out his puppy coat weeks ago, at about 3 months of age.
My husband was exactly the same he always said he preferred short coats but now that we have got duchess he takes it back he loves her, he calls her the fluff ball and my nieces call her Pom pom!
It seems Finley has blown his coat quick. It's a good things though as his coat will come in quicker. Have you any grooming tips?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats, she is beautiful! I love her name. You're going to love having a long coat. Look forward to watching her grow and coat changes in the upcoming months.

Here I'm still stressing about possibly adding a 3rd for multiple reasons, but it's seeing these beautiful puppies that make me really think, do I want an almost 2 year old or a puppy if I'm going to add a third. God bless you for having 4 puppies now at the same time. I'm sure in a lot of respects it is easier as they can learn together and copy each other.
Thankyou, she does really suit her name. Although her first nicknames was Pom pom created by my nieces haha.
And exactly Hun, go for it! I have sat and worried about getting another for days and days but there's actually nothing to worry about I coudlnt be happier.
It's great that they can all grow up together and it means that I will get all the potty training etc out the way at once and they all copy mills anyway so that's half the battle.
If I was you I would get a puppy, but that's just because it will be nice for the chi to grow up with your other babies.
Hav you got any photos of the potential addition?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meoshia I'm trying to message you about my dc order cause I received it today, but it says your message folder is full again send me a message once you have cleared some space :)

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would love to see a picture of your whole crew now! They will be so cute together!
I will take some soon :) they are currently all lying in bed cuddles in and my camera is out of battery but I will defo do it later and get some good snaps it's so hard to get them all to sit and look at me at the same time haha will try my best though!

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow, I cant believe you got a 5th chi . !!! congrats , i'm so happy for you. she is so pretty and I love the name you picked out too
Me either it's defo my last one though, five is enough now though haha :)
it's been a whirl wind going from having one to five but it's been the best decision ever. Would you ever get another?

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Me either it's defo my last one though, five is enough now though haha :)
it's been a whirl wind going from having one to five but it's been the best decision ever. Would you ever get another?
hehe. I have thought about just one more. it is so tempting. I miss having a puppy and Ellie is so puppy like even though she's almost 14 months old. she would love to have a puppy sister. but, I just cant. I have to talk myself out of it because 4 dogs is really all I can handle. I think for me 5 would just feel like too much. i'm sure you have your hubby helping you but I live alone so I do everything . Peter loves my dogs but I only see him on the weekends.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Me either it's defo my last one though, five is enough now though haha

hehe. I have thought about just one more. it is so tempting. I miss having a puppy and Ellie is so puppy like even though she's almost 14 months old. she would love to have a puppy sister. but, I just cant. I have to talk myself out of it because 4 dogs is really all I can handle. I think for me 5 would just feel like too much. i'm sure you have your hubby helping you but I live alone so I do everything . Peter loves my dogs but I only see him on the weekends.
It is very tempting :) I understand though it must be hard when you have to take care of all four!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts