Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leah has started not eating what I give her and just trying to hide it from the others. She will then pick a fight with anyone that goes near it (be it one of the cats or the other dogs). I dont know what to do with her. She's rather hide her food most of them time instead of eat it.

· Registered
172 Posts
I protect the dogs from each other during meal time. No one is allowed to eat out of each other's bowls until the dog finishes and walks away. I do this to reinforce my control over feeding time, and also to support calmer, slow eating on their part.

Maybe some more details about how your meal times work would help us give suggestions on the issue.

· Registered
14,454 Posts
Feed them in separate areas so they can eat in peace. Crates, separate rooms, etc. Leave them with their food and give them time to eat it. If they don't eat it, pick it up very casually without any begging or scolding and throw it in the fridge for the next meal. No in between meal snacks. Just present the food, let them choose to eat it or not. They will learn to eat their food.

· Registered
236 Posts
My lot don't eat out of each others bowls uless the dog who's bowl it is has finished ad walked away.

LeStat will growl and snack at anyone who goes near his bowl though unless he's finished when he'll allow them to have it. His bowl is out all day though and the others very rarely take any of his food.
The others don't argue so maybe it's a 'chi thing'?

· Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My feeding routing is to sperate where their bowls are. They are all in the same room but not the same area. I've tried putting them in crates to eat and they all just stand at the door and cry and not eat, Claude did this for 30 minutes yesterday. :( This is a new thing with her fighting and hoarding the food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.