Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys sorry i havent posted inawhile with school its just been crazy busy...

I am posting because we are having such a hard time with Lola and Ava. Last night I lost it just broke down and started bawling Because I just dont know what to do. is Brad or I are holding Ava no matter where Lola is Ava looks for her and starts growling and snarling then we will tell her to stop turn away so she cant see Lola and then we put her down and she runs snarling and charging at Lola and they fight so we pull them apart, Last night Lola was all cuddled up to me like she always is when we go to bed it was 230 in the morning and ava comes snarling and charging at Lola they fought right on brads face that was an awesome way to wake up :( then this morning at 930 then went at it again and I got bit then Brad got bit. this has been going on for months now but the last 2 weeks it has just gotten worse. I dont understand why they are always fighting and why they even started in the first place... anyone have any ideas ???

thanks

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
My guess is that Lola knows that Ava has problems and she is taking it out on her. Can Ava walk at all anymore? Lola is attacking her to elevate her status in the pack order.

Is Ava still on medications? If so, she may smell different and it is provoking Lola to attack her. Very sad. :(

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Are the girls spayed?
Did Lola join your family after Ava?
Do you find yourself paying more attention to Lola?
Favoring her, by cuddling her more, etc?
When exactly did the fighting start? What age were the girls?
When they fight do you punish them both, just Ava or neither?
How often do you intervene?
Do they fight over toys, food, your attention?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Ava is the one attacking. Could the new meds be affecting her mood? It seems this only happened after the vet put her on the new meds for her legs. I know Prednesone can change moods for the worse. I would talk to the vet and let them know about this side effect.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ava is the one attacking. Could the new meds be affecting her mood? It seems this only happened after the vet put her on the new meds for her legs. I know Prednesone can change moods for the worse. I would talk to the vet and let them know about this side effect.
That's what I was wondering since Ava is the one changing. I'm so sorry you're going through this poor little Lola probably doesn't know what the heck is going on since this never happened before. I wish I had better advice =(

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Are they both spayed? (I forget) & how does Quark factor into all the drama? where is when this is happening and how does he react with both of them during and after?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I misread, I thought it was Lola attacking Ava. If it's the other way around I agree it could be the medications she is on, or she may just be in pain and not feeling good. Pain can make her feel unhappy and mean. There could be jealousy issues as well if this happens when you are cuddling Lola.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you have your answer here, I've actually been on prednisone myself for my asthma and it made me feel hungry and angry. I don't know how Ava feels but if the change in meds coincides with the change in behavior, you may want to try going back to the old one if for no other reason than to establish that that is in fact what it is. Trust your mommy intiuition :)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I hope you come back and update us soon :toothy8:

Here's another thought I had.. if they are not spayed, perhaps it's reached a point where there is tension between both female dogs competing for turf?
If you spend more time with Lola (and I think you do right? she's your dog correct? isn't Ava Brads?) there could be some jealousy going on.

Factor in any changes from her recent meds (is she still on those?) maybe they are affecting her mood? as Pam suggested.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ava has been on prednazone for over a year now. she walks and runs all over the place the new meds that she is on is called teramadol which is a pain killer. this attacking happens if i am holding Lola then Ava will run right over to her snarling so then Lola starts or if i am Holding Ava then Ava looks around the room gets a still and starts growling at lola who could be on the other side of the room in a dog bed and she starts snarling and squirming. its so frustrating. I am going to get it on tape so you can see... Quark just chills out he stays way outta the fighting..

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quark is fixed but they are not.... I am just so scared to get Lola spade cause shes so little I know I know im just being paranoid

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think it is two intact girls with raging hormones vying for the alpha spot in your house. It could also be Ava's prednisone weighing in and making her feel edgy.

Had a breeder friend with two intact male dogs who HATED each other. They did fine from puppy's on up but once they were both over a year, they took an intense dislike to each other. They would lock eyes across the room and the fight was on. And it was serious fighting. After many visits to the ER for sutures for torn ears and faces and one of the dogs getting his eye bit, she had to re-home one of the boys.

It's possible that having two intact girls won't work in your home?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it is two intact girls with raging hormones vying for the alpha spot in your house. It could also be Ava's prednisone weighing in and making her feel edgy.

Had a breeder friend with two intact male dogs who HATED each other. They did fine from puppy's on up but once they were both over a year, they took an intense dislike to each other. They would lock eyes across the room and the fight was on. And it was serious fighting. After many visits to the ER for sutures for torn ears and faces and one of the dogs getting his eye bit, she had to re-home one of the boys.

It's possible that having two intact girls won't work in your home?
Im thinking you are right.... Lola is going to be 3 in April i think its about that time..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to distenquish there pack.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Yep it's definitely Jealousy & territory based.
Can you maybe just spay both of them? how old is Ava now?
Healthier in the long run I think.

Lola should be fine! Just make sure you go to a vet clinic that does a lot of sterilizations, we have one here in town I can give you the information if you like, might be worth it to make a trip to do both dogs at the same time.

Most affordable prices in GTA that I found, I used them for our cat and they specialize in spay/neuters. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
i just went through the whole waking up to dog fights on my face which ended up with a $400+ vet bill for stitches for one of them. here is the thread about it. so you can compare to your situation. hope you are able to get it worked out before it gets worse.

Kay-ak is at the vet.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Kay this is how I see it

Ava is most likely been a bit babied because she's sick -good reason- most likely it got out of hand she is currently deciding you are hers no Ava's and basically being a bitch.

You need to tell her that you don't need her deciding who can sit you your lap if she runs at Lola don't move her away get up and clap you hand and tell ava to go lay down. She does NOT have the right to be your boss. If she growls tell her NO again, move her away from you since that is what she wants. When she tollerates Lola being there praise her for it as you want to let her know what is and is not acceptable.

You need to give her clear boundaries and become boss again. Both dogs will be happier for this.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My 2 cents worth....Get both of the females Spayed. The fighting could be much more dangerous than the operation. Also never leave them alone together without being crated.
Small dogs do and will kill each other.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi oh boy what a topic i havent been here long enough to actually give advice but as the other ladies have said their hormones are really on high alert good luck i feel bad for little lola shes one of my favs

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My 2 cents worth....Get both of the females Spayed. The fighting could be much more dangerous than the operation. Also never leave them alone together without being crated.
Small dogs do and will kill each other.
Precisely... hormones can cause SO many problems.

Fact: Post-menopausal women get along much better than those who have periods.
Lmao j/k j/k j/k... sorry just thought it'd be a funny "fact" haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.