Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to teach Kira a new trick, 'wash your face' for about 6 weeks now and finally today a break through :hello1:

I've been holding her paw and swiping it across her face and she got pretty good at dipping her nose under her paw as I passed it over but she wasn't getting the idea to do it on her own. I was beginning to think it was never going to happen but then today while we were practicing something must have been tickling her nose and she wiped it three times so of course I gave her lots of praise and a treat but I had a hard time to get her to repeat it.
Then I got a crazy idea, I picked up a hair she was shedding and used it to tickle the side of her nose. :D At first she thought I was crazy but before long she was swiping her nose and everytime she did she got a treat and a lot of praise. Within 10 tries she knew how to 'wash' her face.

It's so exciting when they get a new trick.

So far Jadzia can do 14 tricks and Kira now can do 9 :hello1:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Way cute! I am trying to teach mine to put her paw on her nose when I say "What's stinky!?" ...willhave to try the hair bit. Good job w/ your girls :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way cute! I am trying to teach mine to put her paw on her nose when I say "What's stinky!?" ...willhave to try the hair bit. Good job w/ your girls
Thanks, I'd love to hear if it works for your girl.

That is brilliant! That's a good trick to teach them.
Thanks, I was so thrilled when she got it I just had to share.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Im currently teaching Fiddle the Touch command. (where I say touch and she touches my hand with her nose)

We did our third lesson on it doay at lunch time and she got it!! I am going to keep working on it to get some distance up, atm I am hold my hand a few inches from her nose. Its so cute when they learn, Fiddles concentration is so obvious in her eyes!

Good job with sticking with the trick!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its so cute when they learn, Fiddles concentration is so obvious in her eyes!
I know a fellow who is adamant in the belief that dogs only go on instinct, I don't think that fellow himself is very intelligent because you're right when you see the concentration and then the 'light bulb' moment when the get it, well, it's priceless.

Im currently teaching Fiddle the Touch command. (where I say touch and she touches my hand with her nose)
That's great, are you going to use the touch command to teach her to do things like turn on the tv, go get someone etc.?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts