Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have this x-pen. Bella can climb out of it. They aren't left alone often, I usually try to take them with me if I go somewhere, but now that I have the x-pen, I'll leave them at home once in awhile for 2-3 hours max. Today I left them home for 2 hours so I could run some errands, came home to Bella greeting me at the door, and Izzie shaken up and crying in the x-pen without her sister.

Is there an x-pen that Bella won't be able to climb out of? I was looking at
, but I don't know if she'd be able to climb out of it too..

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I used the Iris one with Zoey and she was never able to climb out of it. I really liked that one.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good. Hmm. I just don't know that if she can climb out of the current one if she'll be able to climb out of the Iris one too...

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
There is a taller Iris one that I'd be SHOCKED if she could climb out of, but I think it might only be the big 8 panel one, the 4 panel is only about as high as the one you currently have. LMBO little escape artist you have on your hands, huh?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Seriously, I got a lil video of her almost getting out I took today. It's pretty funny to see.

Why can't she just be normal so I could have a nice normal pen. I think the Iris is 5 inches taller, but that's not much different...

How long do they usually use their pens? Would the 4 panel one be big enough for both of them?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would go for the bigger one. We have the smaller iris pen for when Leo was little. He never climbed out of it, but it sounds like Bella is a little monkey and could probably climb out of that one too. The 4 panel was plenty of room for Leo, but I think two puppies would outgrow it quickly, so the bigger one sounds better for you all around if Kristi says its taller too. Or maybe you could look into one of the soft sided pens, one that wouldnt have the spaces she could climb with? Id be worried about her trying to scale the taller one and maybe falling.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. How long do ppl usually use pens for?

They do have the soft sided one at Petsmart, I could exchange my current one or that. But it seems like they'd grow out of it quickly.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I first got home I put her back inside the x-pen to see how she gets out and took a vid for my hubby. She doesn't get out in the video, but she is well on her way. She was 3 lbs 5 oz a few days ago, and she is long and tall. She has really long legs, so you can kinda see how tall she can reach in the video.

ETA- And it being by the couch doesn't make a difference, she's done the same thing without it being by the couch.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
A lot of people use the pens even for adults...I guess it depends on what the dog is like. If we don't have a room that we can easily section off for the dogs, we'll use a big ol' pen for them ;)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
What a little monkey Bella is:D

I think you would be in the same boat with the Iris as your current pen. I think a cover is a great idea :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So like I said in my previous post, I returned the x-pen before I saw the posts about the cover... :( . I don't really like the metal ones anyway. So I just ordered the Iris 8 panel (it's a lot taller then the 4 panel too). I was thinking, I dunno if it'll work because of the way the top of the panels are shaped, but setting it up with 6 panels like a rectangle, and velcroing the 2 extra panels onto the top of the pen, so they can't get out. If that doesn't work, some of the reviews on the pen say to get some heavy duty netting and zip tie it to the top, but I dunno. I'll figure something out!

Where did you get the little pink harnesses for Izzie and Bella?
Those are the Puppy Love brand harnesses from Petco.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It looks as though she may be using the side of the lounge to get a better grip to climb out? Have you tried moving the pen away from furniture?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oh, I hope that my girls do not learn to do this! She is your littlest one, correct? She is brave!

My girls stay in a child's play yard thing. This one:

Yours would have a perfect foothold and scale this one in no time!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, Bella is my biggest. No way Izzie can get out. Poor girl.

And DH was looking at that pen. I think it'd be harder for her to get out of the diamond shaped pen!

·
Registered
24 Posts
what do you guys think is the minimum size for a play pen for a chihuahua?

i was thinking of ordering one of those fabric foldable ones, since she's going to travel with me quite a bit, but they seem small (and expensive).
I ordered a metallic one that was meant for rabbits and it was pretty big, but it wasn't practical for someone like me, with a small apartment that doesn't want the pen always assembled.

keep in mind that i wouldn't keep my dog in the pen all day, only for a few hours when no one is home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts