Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
a little baby food to keep him from getting hypoglycemic--right away. like Gerber
Chicken and gravy (no onions, no spice).

or, do you have Karo syrup? a bit on his gums with your finger...

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey has been on boiled chicken breast with low sodium brooth for fluids the past week. She has not been eating much do to an infection in her mouth but she is eating this. Sometimes a bit of scrambled egg with cheese too.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I would not start him on canned food or there may be no turning back.
You just need to make sure his blood sugar isn't dropping. If you go to PetsMart,
get some Nutri-Cal Puppy. It's about $10 and a tube will last months or more.
Baby food is much cheaper. You can give him a teaspoon with his dry food. How
old is he?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would not start him on canned food or there may be no turning back.
You just need to make sure his blood sugar isn't dropping. If you go to PetsMart,
get some Nutri-Cal Puppy. It's about $10 and a tube will last months or more.
Baby food is much cheaper. You can give him a teaspoon with his dry food. How
old is he?
I agree w/ this 100%. Nutri-Cal, a feeding syringe or medicine dropper, and babyfood are must haves for a new puppy. Start soaking some of his kibble now so it's super soft by the time you get back from the store. Mash it up and mix it w/ 50% baby food. Rub some nutrical on his gums (start w/ about 2 pea sized drops) and then offer him the mixture you mixed up, it should smell appetizing enough he wants to eat it. If not, syringe some into him.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yeah the beech nut brand I like the best b'c it's free of anything "added". Other brands have corn starch, onions, etc all which can cause problems.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I had to syringe feed Lacey for almost 2 weeks when I first brought her home. I only did it when I felt she didnt eat enough. I also gave her the nutrical..which she loved. I did the Beech nut baby food....just be warned...it gives them really bad poops ;) Once he gets over that transitional period...he'll be fine :)

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
the Nutri-Cal is to have on hand in case he isn't eating. Hypoglycemia comes on fast with
puppies and is a medical emergency. If he is lethargic and not eating, it is the first
thing that comes to mind. Stress of going to a new home can bring it on. For the
first week really watch him... If he ate a few pieces of food, that's really good :hello1:
Several meals spaced out throughout the day and pay attention
to how much he is eating. If you just leave food down all the time, you won't know
how much he ate (or if Leila ate it!) There are lots of threads on here about
puppies and hypoglycemia. Did the breeder say he has had any issues with it?
with not wanting to eat regularly?
No issues with that around this house ;) Good grief--Evie has a hearty appetite for such a little girl!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Petsmart didnt' have nutri cal. I bought something called "GNC Ultra mega high calorie booster". its in a tube and it is veg oil, sugar, water, corn syrup, malt syrup, molasses, taurine, iron proteinate, magnesium sulfate, vit. a, chicken flavor, etc. vitamins mainly.
I thought it was prob. the same thing. I put some in his mouth and he ate a wee bit more. i also got some beechnut chicken and broth.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I never even thought about hypoglycemia! Small puppies are soooo different then large breed puppies, when Lincoln didn't eat all the experts said give him 15 min with the food, if he doesn't eat take away give food back at next feeding. He was eating 4 times a day back then and he has never been a big eater so for us it worked.

I'm so glad I read this I didn't even think for a moment that for a chi it would be such a big deal to eat only a little I would have assumed and done the same as was recommended to me for Lincoln. I really have to remember that she is completely different!!!

That being said I'm sure it's pretty obvious that I can be of no help to you, I hope that your little cutie starts eating soon! He's probably too busy playing to think of food : p

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Oh wow the chicken babyfood was a HIT! he ate quite a little bit for him. It smells really fragrant so it's no wonder he couldn't resist. :) YAY!!! I didn't put much at all in there so hopefully he won't have messy poops.
That's great to hear!!! Hopefully he will keep eating for you : )

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Oh wow the chicken babyfood was a HIT! he ate quite a little bit for him. It smells really fragrant so it's no wonder he couldn't resist. :) YAY!!! I didn't put much at all in there so hopefully he won't have messy poops.
glad to hear Finn is getting something he will eat! good news :hello1:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Aw I'm glad the baby food is working for his appetite! Maybe try letting his dry food soak in water to get mushy, then add a tiny bit of the baby food and mix it up for taste. That way he's still primarily getting his regular food so it should be easier on his tummy as well. Hope everything works well for him!! <33

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aw I'm glad the baby food is working for his appetite! Maybe try letting his dry food soak in water to get mushy, then add a tiny bit of the baby food and mix it up for taste. That way he's still primarily getting his regular food so it should be easier on his tummy as well. Hope everything works well for him!! <33
That is exactly what i did. :) That baby food should last a while. Not sure how long it keeps , i'll have to look on the jar. I will keep it on hand at least till he's eating better and not so dinky.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
That is exactly what i did. :) That baby food should last a while. Not sure how long it keeps , i'll have to look on the jar. I will keep it on hand at least till he's eating better and not so dinky.
It'll keep about 3-4 days in the fridge, probably longer...but after that I usually toss it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts