Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sounds like a bile vomit which happens from an empty stomach. They start anticipating food and they produce acid and then get sick.

A couple ways to prevent it ..... give a snack right at bedtime, that holds them through the night. Secondly, vary your feeding times so he doesn't know when he will be fed. Don't have a set schedule. Vary it by an hour or more either way. That will solve the problem. :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
This is bile (yellow) that he is throwing up. Very upsetting to the tummy. Quick fix: food. Feed him a milkbone or any other treat at bedtime. a little kibble left in his bowl helps. If he is a vigorous eater, then leaving down kibble at night won't work. Nothing really to be concerned about. A piece of toast at night also works. Sue

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
well he eats at the same times pretty much everyday. and it wasn't past time!? worried me to death :( He's never done that ever!
Don't worry Dottie does it sometimes as well without anything coming up,as Tracy says feed at different times that's what i'm going to do as i always have set times as my Sheltie won't leave me alone till i feed him then i have to feed the others.Well he's going to wait from now on:D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That happened to Lacey months ago. She vomited in the middle of the night. Didnt know I should feed. She vomited several more times...even after being fed. Had to have an injection from vet to settle her tummy. Lesson learned. Give snack before bed ;) Glad little Finn is feeling better!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I also get how scary this is, my Kira started vomiting the lovely neon yellow bile about a month and a half ago, several times in the middle of the night. I made an appointment with the vet quickly because she also has a liver disease and this is one of the symptoms that the liver is in distress.
Anyway, the first thing my vet suggested was to feed her a bed time snack and a few extra snacks inbetween meals. Within a couple of days Kira was feeling better.

I hope Finn is feeling better

·
Registered
454 Posts
My girls do this occassionally and sometimes the pit bulls do as well. I usually just give them a few bites of kibble and then wait for their tummy to settle and then feed as usual. Ellie is my most nervous and she does it the most often. I try to be sure that she gets a snack at bedtime but she isn't the best eater so she often will leave it alone. I hope his tummy feels better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.