Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just found out I have one that is terrified of firecrackers. Someone decided to set a few off tonight and Delilah is terrified. She was in the pen with Twiggy (who's in heat again) and she was so scared, she managed to climb out. She is hiding between me and the back of my chair trembling. All the others decided to run out and bark hysterically everytime one went off. Gonna be a long 4th of July. And I was supposed to go out that night, too *sigh*

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We've had a few early celebrations in our neighborhood, too. So far, they've been at a distance and the dogs haven't reacted at all, but this will be my first 4th with the two of them, so it may get interesting.

I'm hoping for the best - neither react too terribly to the thunderstorms we get here in Kentucky...Gracie can be kind of clingy when it's thundering and lightening, but she's almost always clingy, and she doesn't act as if she's terrified or anything like that.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella is terrified of fireworks ...its bad enough when neighbours light them off but last night was the towns fireworks display and the complex is only 2 blocks away...being on the water the sound really almost vibrates ...Bella was almost going crazy running back and forth and trying to hide...I did try Rescue Remedy before and it helped but unfortunately I dropped the bottle and it broke..its not available in Canada so I will have to get some more shipped up as it did seem to help her in the past....

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Has anyone tried a tight t-shirt, or a thundershirt on their dogs? I have one for Emmie, but it is for generalized anxiety, not specifically for storms. She doesn't really react to storms much. Sue

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
DREADING it! Ruby panics when someone shuts a door too hard. A hail storm meant that she went on a hunger strike.
The 4th has ME a nervous wreck! Going to turn the TV or music up loud and act like nothing is happening.
Like many of you, we will wait and see!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I am dreading the 4th.. I have to work that day from 10-5 so I am hoping that people aren't setting off fireworks before I am home to watch the dogs.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Well, I've had experience with a dog that HATES fireworks and thunderstorms.. One of our labs. We got her some medicine this year though, so that helped. Roxy isn't phased by thunderstorms so I was anxious to see how she would do when fireworks went off. We went to my camp this weekend where the fireworks are amazing! We sit right on the lake and they're right above you, so you're super close to them.. the debris can actually fall on you and theyre so loud. Anyways, my boyfriend was carrying Roxy up to the lake and the fireworks started going off. She was squirming everywhere trying to get out of his arms and she even peed all over him! We felt so bad! She calmed down SOME and just layed on his chest while they continued going off. When they were over, she seemed ok. We sat by the fire and she layed in her bed, which she loves to do, but then she heard more firecrackers and began to freak out a little. :( I just hope she'll be ok around thunderstorms and loud noises now. :sad2: I knew she'd probably be afraid but I wasn't expecting that! Poor baby! I hope all of your babies were/are ok now too!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I remember Hershey was terrified of the fireworks during new year. I think try what Karen is doing - crank up the volume of the TV!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts