Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Firge for a couple of months and since I got her about two months ago. She's about eight month's old. She only gets excited about people food. I have to beg her to eat her food and I've tried all kinds of food.

About how much dry food should she eat per day? When I eat, like a bagel. Sometimes I give her just a little pinch of it and she stands there and waits for another little bite. I only give her two or three bites. I'm afraid the owner gave her people food; what can I do.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I've always had poodles and I don't know anything about chis, but I really love them.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

Martha

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
You can check the feeding guide line on your bag of dog food it's always posted. I do find though that some dogs eat more than others one of my chi's likes to pick at her food and used to not eat at all for some meals and the other over eats is always begging for food even when he has just ate. I would cut out giving her table scraps to eliminate the begging, the dog isn't going to starve itself so it will eventually eat if you don't give in and feed scraps. What type of kibble are you feeidng her? You should be feeding a high quality kibble which usually cannot be bought in supermarkets and walmart.

I found this website that may be able to help you with feeding

Feeding Puppies: What, When, How

and then this site to help with picking out a high quality kibble

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

There is also a nutrition section in this forum where you will be able to read posts by other members on good quality foods if you aren't already feeding it. Also table scraps can cause your chi chi to become overweight which is very easy to do one of my chi's is overweight!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Well, the thing about Chi's (or any dogs in general really) is that if you feed them people food they sometimes will refuse their own food because they know something better will come along. ;)

I'd suggest a few things.

#1- stop feeding her any & all table scraps

#2- pick 2 times a day. Give her her a.m. meal & give her ONLY 15 minutes with the food. If she's done take it up. If she's not, take it up. At the p.m. meal time same thing. Do not offer "snacks" in between meals at first until she starts eating regularly. If there is nothing wrong with the dog physically...they will NOT allow themselves to starve & she will start to eat when its offered to her.

These 2 things should help her to start eating her own food. Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've feed Chico 1/8th cup kibble in the morning. He's on Blue Buffalo mixed with Chicken Soup for Puppy lovers) I leave it down for about 1/2 hour. I have to keep my other dog away, because he loves Chico's food better than his. After we have our supper, I feed Chico 1/8 cup kibble, with a baby cooked carrot or some cooked green beans. Usually he will eat it all. During the day he gets treats when he goes potty outside or on the wee pad inside. The treats are tiny pieces of dried liver, or puppy size Mother Hubbard veggie bones. So far at 4 months he weighs 4 lbs. Vet says he is doing great.
My hubby continues to give him people food when he eats. Just small tidbits for a taste. I constantly yell at him, because he has turned into a beggar. LOL
Hope this helps to guide you a little. You have to watch to see how much he eats, and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Every time you give your dog some of your food, you're just reinforcing a bad habit, and making it less and less likely she'll eat her own. Instead of you training her, she's training you.

She will NOT starve herself, and eventually she'll eat her own food if she can't get food anywhere else. Heather's approach is exactly what I was going to tell you to do, and I agree completely.

My dogs are both fed twice a day, about 1/8th cup kibble each, totalling 1/4 cup each every day. They are healthy, at ideal weights, (Tango's 3 1/2 lbs, Jazz is a tiny bit over 4 lbs) and they are HUNGRY when it's time to eats. They eat ALL their kibble every time, because other than tiny bits of treats during the day, they never get anything else. Even their treats (which are for small dogs so they start out small) I break into smaller pieces so that it doesn't mess with their appetites come meal time.

However pitiful she looks because you won't feed her your food, know that she's just playing you because she knows she can, because you've TAUGHT her that she can. It's hard, I know, because they look so cute and tiny and all you can think is "poor thing she's starving!" but she's not lol!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What are you feeding her? Look at it from her point of view.... a bowl of dry cereal, or something yummy that mom is eating? It's easy to see why she wants what you have and you have reinforced it by giving her bites so she now knows that what you are eating is yummy.

If you want to stick with kibble, pick a high quality one and do as the others suggested. NO more table food at all. Put her food down, give her 20 minutes to eat, then pick it up and nothing else until the next scheduled feeding. She will learn to eat when it is offered.

There are other alternatives if you are interested.... Raw, pre-made (dehydrated) raw, home cooked, mixes like the Honest Kitchen. I only mention these as alternatives in case you are interested in exploring other things besides kibble. You can go to the nutrition forums and read more if you'd like! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts