Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time chi owner. My baby Girl is 9 weeks old. My question is, is she old enough to get her first bath our do I need to wait a few more weeks. Thanks for your help. Angela

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I would wait a few more weeks because she is still so young. I didn't give Chico his first bath until he was around 12 weeks old. Make sure you get a gentle and tearless shampoo and be careful not to get water in her ears or eyes. Just a suggestion...when I give Chico a bath, after I dry him off real good, I wrap him in a blanket and hold him for a few minutes so he doesnt get cold. Good luck with your baby.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Ozzy had his first bath at about 9 weeks so i would say you should be fine I did him in the bowl in the sink and made sure not to get any water on his face :wave: then dried him in a towel after and kept him warm - a good idea is too put a tea towel in the bottom of the b owl so they dont slip :D

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I got Lina when she was 4 months so I don't know about the age, but I'm sure what the other girls said will help you out with that. But I do have a suggestion for the shampoo. Since I have two toddlers I have always have baby shampoo laying around in the bathroom and that's what I use on Lina. The smell doesn't last as long as maybe dog shampoo but if it happens to get in the eyes or if she licks it (which she does sometimes) I know that it won't hurt her or make her sick (my son used to eat it too the weirdo he was lol). So, yeah, baby shampoo works great :)

And I also bought her a pair of PJs to wear after she has a bath. She leaves them on for about half an hour and then when she's warm enough she wiggles out of them on her own lol.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I would think it would be O.K. I gave Jasmine her first bath at 9 weeks, soon after I brought her home. She wasn't actually dirty, but she had sort of a "sour milk" smell. I bathed her in the bathroom sink, and used a tearless puppy shampoo.

Just be careful around the face and ear area, and be sure to keep her warm after.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
chiwi had her first bath at 10 eeks old at the breeders. then again a few days later cause she wrestles with her wee wee pad. :roll:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I gave Jack a bath when he was only 10 weeks old after consulting my vet.
The vet said to only use puppy shampoo or just even just water and to never use human products as they weren't suitable. I bought a special puppy shampoo and it worked really well and was really cheap.

You should be fine giving your pup a bath at a young age as long as your puppy doesn't get cold.
After his bath I put a hot water bottle wrapped in towels in his bed and he snuggles up with that to keep warm....works a treat!!

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.