Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Khorra and Dakota went to their very first Chihuahua Meetup this morning. They did so good. They were very shy to start with and wouldn't leave my feet but slowly they would start to venture out and explore and then they started mingling with the other Chi's and their Mommies. Khorra and Dakota were the hit since they were the babies of the group. Especially Dakota because he ended up being quite the little social butterfly and would've actually gone home with this one family that had brought their little girl who is close to my daughters age. She loved him and played with him quite a bit and he tried to follow them out. Unfortunately, Dakota threw up on the car ride there. I really hope he gets over that. We are going camping in a couple of weeks and it'll be about a 2 hour ride. He will be miserable if he's sick the whole time.

Making a new friend

Look at all of the Chi's! There were 11 including mine.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
That is such a great experience for them! It's awesome that you're socializing so young. It can be difficult with these babies. Chloe is never mean or aggressive, but she gets nervous around people and we worked extremely hard with her. I wish there was something like that here. How did you find out about it?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just looked at the Meetup site for my area and they were the only Chihuahua group in my area. Luckily the dog park is only about 15 mins from my house. Dakota didn't throw up on the way home, just the way there because it was a longer drive since I had to drop my older son off at a Boy Scout event.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is such a great experience for them! It's awesome that you're socializing so young. It can be difficult with these babies. Chloe is never mean or aggressive, but she gets nervous around people and we worked extremely hard with her. I wish there was something like that here. How did you find out about it?
You can go to meetup.com and look in your area for any chi meetup groups. If there aren't any, you could always start one up of your own. I talked a bit to the lady that stated ours up about it, and that's what she did. She said that the closest chi meetup was quite far away and she wanted one closer so she just started one up herself through meetup.com.

That's great. I wish they did stuff like that here.
Does meetup.com have any groups like this out by you? Maybe you could try to start a group?

Looks like they had fun!! We have a chihuahua meetup group here too!
That's great! Have you been able to go to it? If so, did you really like it? I loved watching my pups go from being extremely shy when we first got there to being much more confident and social. I'm so happy I went and I think it did wonders for their socialization. Dakota went from being so shy that he wouldn't leave my feet, to being the social butterfly, to thinking he was the top dog and had to protect me and would growl when other Chi's would get to close when we were all sitting on the ground, lol. As cute as it was, I don't want him to be doing that and I'm not sure what I should do to stop that. Or if there even is anything that can be done for that.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Yes, I've been going to meet-ups for a few years now. My chi's aren't thrilled about them but I make them go so they can socialize! Or at least attempt to socialize! Leo get protective of me when I sit on the ground too, so I usually stand up when he gets like that, kinda showing him i won't sit w him if he is going to growl.

Leo does better at the meetups, I think bc I started it when he was younger. My local organic dog boutique I go to regularly has a small dog play group (dogs under 20lbs) once a month and we go there too. There r fewer dogs so Leo does better there. That's great you found one so early on! I think that makes a huge difference! I love seeing their pictures!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I've been going to meet-ups for a few years now. My chi's aren't thrilled about them but I make them go so they can socialize! Or at least attempt to socialize! Leo get protective of me when I sit on the ground too, so I usually stand up when he gets like that, kinda showing him i won't sit w him if he is going to growl.

Leo does better at the meetups, I think bc I started it when he was younger. My local organic dog boutique I go to regularly has a small dog play group (dogs under 20lbs) once a month and we go there too. There r fewer dogs so Leo does better there. That's great you found one so early on! I think that makes a huge difference! I love seeing their pictures!!
I'll have to try that with Dakota when he starts growling again. Maybe standing up will help. What I did when he growled was took him off of my lap and put him in the middle of the ones he was growling at. That made him stop but then he just ran back to my lap after a short bit. I will have to check with my local organic dog store as well to see if they have a play group. That would be fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts