Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone- :wave:

So, my new little girl is finally home! After playing with her last night we decided to name her Bella Boo (Just Boo was too small for her big personality!). I couldnt bear putting her in her pen right away so of course we played with her all night. I laid out a weewee pad in my living room and the first time she peed she went all the way across the room to the pad! And this morning I woke up and she went pee and poo in her pen but both on the pad. How lucky am I? And she wasnt even trained on pads, she was in a cage with a wire bottom at the breeder.

:?: I have a few questions for all you chi experts:

1. She's not eating or drinking water. She will eat food if I hand feed it to her and will lick water off my finger. She won't go near the bowls. Any suggestions? It is worrying me.

2. The breeder gave me these little pills to give her for parasites. She showed me how to shove them down her throat. I cant bear to do it. This morning I put one in a glob of nutrical and she ate about 3/4 of it. My aunt said when she got her puppy (a yorkie) she would put the pills in a little peanut butter. Is this ok for my little chi?

3. I got her a crate and a bed. Last night I put both in he pen. She slept in the bed. Is it a bad idea to let her sleep in that right away considering that I do go to work during the day and she will have to be in the crate?

Thank you so much for answering my questions, this site has been such a great help already!!

-Erin :toothy7:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Welcome Home Bella Boo!

Regarding your first question - it is actually good to hand-feed your pup if possible because it teaches them that YOU give them food and they will be less likely to get food-aggressive. I honestly think if you waited it out she would eat/drink on her own. She is in a new place and that can be very stressful. Give her time. :)

Regarding your second question - I never have been able to give Bosco his pills (I always bring him to the vet to get his heartworm pill!) but I believe it would be fine to hide the pill in some food such as peanut butter. Just try to give her as little as possible while still hiding the pill.

Regarding the third question - Is there a reason why you are going to put her in a crate while you are gone as opposed to just letting her be in the pen? I'm not sure I understand...give me more details and I will try to help! :D

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
glad bella boo is settling in well I totally agree with what anna told you - I hide my dogs pills in a tiny bit of cheese or a slice of chicken .

as for the crate pen issue I too dont understand why you would want to confine her to a crate while you were at work all day this is far too long too leave if you have a pen just leave her in that with food water toys bed and pad - that will be perfect :wave:

cant wait too see more pics of her :wave:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Congrats on your new baby! Don't panic, all will be alright, she will adjust to your home just fine. She probably won't really be interested in eating from the bowls right away, and I agree with Boogaloo that hand feeding is a great way to teach them you are the alpha and you supply the food. I also taught Chiquita and Jose that when they are eating from their bowl, I can take it away, as well as any bones or treats they chew on, because I am the boss. Neither one of them will bite me if I take their food, treats, or bones away. Good thing to think about training at an early age. Nutrical is good to give her maybe 2-3 times a day, a small amount and let her lick it off your finger, this will prevent hypoglycemia, but have no fear, eventually she will discover the bowls. As for the pills, I always use peanut butter, because it is thick, I take a marble size amount on my finger, and tuck the pill down inside the glob, then let the dog lick it off, and usually they will lick the whole glob down with the pill in it and down the hatch it goes, pain free! If it won't work, they make pill syringes at the pet stores, you aim it at the back of the throat and pop it in and they will swallow it. For the crate thing, I crate trained both of my dogs right away because I don't have space for a pen right now. It is up to you on how you wish to do that. You really should make a decision on where you want her to be when you are not home, either the crate or the pen, and start training that now. I think lots of people on here let their dogs stay in a pen all day with no problems, maybe they could lend more advice.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Mikey gave me the same problem w/ eating and drinking. I had to hand feed him for a few weeks. I guess it did work out b/c he is not food agressive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dazey, almost four months old, stays in a pen all day while I am at work. She has a bed, pee pee pad, water and food bowls plus a few toys in the pen. I have never crated her because I could not stand the thought of her being that confined for such a long period of time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never confine Bella to her crate during the day. When she was being housetrained I did, but after she knew where to go (she uses a litter box) I left her out. I confine her to my bedroom so she can't roam the entire apt. She doesn't chew things but if she was a chewer then I would have to crate her. She likes to sleep in bed while I'm away..she thinks she's a person. Good luck with your pup! :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you are worried, put a little sugar in her water to avoid a low blood sugar. People make mistakes of new puppies and not making sure they eat so you have to keep the sugar level up. I put sugar in all my pups water for quite a while.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I keep hearing about crates and pens. I had an lapso once that loved his pen but he was a puppy mill dog and he never was comfortable without his pen.

Why is everyone putting their pets in pens or cages? I'm confused so please don't think I'm judging anyone but I guess I'm kind of old. We always allow our pets free run of the house and train them not to do damage rather than lock them up when we're gone.

Is there something I've missed? My pets have beds they sleep in and a basket for toys and their own eating place so they don't lack in a "den" environment.

Thanks for helping me to understand this. It's so new to me I can't seem to get a handle on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad you are having fun with your chi. Cj will be 8 months on Sat. and all of a sudden he stopped eating out of the bowl, I had trouble finding a food that he would like as well, so when I did find the right food he still refuses to eat it out of the bowl I still have to hand feed him but he will drink his water out of the bowl and that has been going on for about 3 months now.He really doesnt eat much and lots of time he is not ready to eat when I want to feed him so its kinda bad because I have to feed him when I think he is really ready to eat.

·
Registered
450 Posts
pammyszoo said:
I keep hearing about crates and pens. I had an lapso once that loved his pen but he was a puppy mill dog and he never was comfortable without his pen.

Why is everyone putting their pets in pens or cages? I'm confused so please don't think I'm judging anyone but I guess I'm kind of old. We always allow our pets free run of the house and train them not to do damage rather than lock them up when we're gone.

Is there something I've missed? My pets have beds they sleep in and a basket for toys and their own eating place so they don't lack in a "den" environment.

Thanks for helping me to understand this. It's so new to me I can't seem to get a handle on it.
It is ALOT easier to potty train a puppy this way, it really speeds up the process!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Pammy, my Grandpa feels the same way. he always fusses at me about keeping my pets in crates when I am not home or while I am sleeping. Here's my thing. It helps me make sure that when I am not watching my house stays in order. I am a huge neat freak!!!! I admit it..I know I am...and that's how I'll stay lol...Mikey has now come to love his crate and lay in it to nap while the door is open. I'm finding that Karma has begun to take refuge from Mikey in hers. It's a safe place for them to go and I find it really helps w/ house breaking.
It's like having my cats declawed. LOT"S and Lots of people disagree w/ it..but I refuse to have an animal destroy my things. So it's either have my kitties declawed and they have a nice loving home for the rest of their lives or not declawing them , they ruin things and then they would have to go. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts