Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local market and got 2 chicken breasts, a cornish hen, and 4 chicken wings to start Ote out on her raw diet.

I cut everything up and weighed it into 1 ounce portions. I used ice cube trays to store the "servings" so that it's easy to just pop one out and feed her. One tray is bone-in meals, one tray is purely chicken breast. For the bone-in meals, I used some ribs from the cornish hen and other small bones I found in at, as well as chicken wing tips.

I still have all of the cornish hen wings/legs, as well as the entire upper portion of the chicken wing and some organs that were in a bag in the cornish hen (I know I have to save those for a month or two). Can I just give her the hen wings/legs to gnaw on a little each day for extra bone consumption? What should I do with the rest of the wing? Can she have the bones that are higher up on the wing?

Btw, I am freezing all of this - only putting her servings for each day in the fridge. That way her food stays fresh longer. Also, any suggestions for other chicken cuts to feed her that may give more variety? Can I use ground chicken breast?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That looks great!!! Good job!! She doesn't need variety right now. Just let her get used to the chicken. Then you can slowly transition to other proteins. It's really easy to get ahead of ourselves. The key to raw feeding is to go slow and simple. You have the rest of her life for variety. :) Your feeding system looks perfect! Can't wait to hear what she thinks!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She LOVED it!!!! Her "brother" is going to be fed kibble (Precise Holistic Brand - he's BIG so I feel that I wouldn't be able to afford feeding both 100% raw) with the occasional raw treat, so there is still kibble around, but she went right for the raw!!! I'm so happy. Thought she was going to turn her nose up at it, but nope! When she was done, she was looking at me for me. I'm so glad that I made the decision to switch her to raw. I double checked with the market, and the chicken isn't enhanced in any way. It is a kind amish family and they raise and butcher all the animals themselves!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
She LOVED it!!!! Her "brother" is going to be fed kibble (Precise Holistic Brand - he's BIG so I feel that I wouldn't be able to afford feeding both 100% raw) with the occasional raw treat, so there is still kibble around, but she went right for the raw!!! I'm so happy. Thought she was going to turn her nose up at it, but nope! When she was done, she was looking at me for me. I'm so glad that I made the decision to switch her to raw. I double checked with the market, and the chicken isn't enhanced in any way. It is a kind amish family and they raise and butcher all the animals themselves!
That is great. We get all our meat from Amish. We get a whole cow every year and half and pig 1 time year. My husband also get lambs I think 3 a year. We also get our Chicken from them But we are going to get chicken they have arrive to feed store. My husband used to have chicken so we have every thing we need. Looking into a few ducks too!! We have a whole pig roast at least 1 time per summer.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That's great news!! Keep up the good work!! :) If you hit any snags, let us know and we will all help you.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is great. We get all our meat from Amish. We get a whole cow every year and half and pig 1 time year. My husband also get lambs I think 3 a year. We also get our Chicken from them But we are going to get chicken they have arrive to feed store. My husband used to have chicken so we have every thing we need. Looking into a few ducks too!! We have a whole pig roast at least 1 time per summer.
That is awesome!!! I would love to stock up like that, but I don't think there would be enough room in our freezer ;) LOL. We have the fridge/freezer combo that came with our townhouse & you can hardly fit anything at all in the freezer! Such a pain. My dad hunts though, so I'm hoping that I can use some of his venison to feed Ote when it comes back into season. A pig roast sounds awesome! I've never been to one, always wanted to go. Reminds me of all the island scenes that you see in movies - LOL!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Great set up! I love to see pics of how everyone preps
their meals. I like the cube idea.

I would suggest that you monitor your cost. I did
this a lot when I started feeding RAW. What I noticed
was, it was actually much cheaper for me to feed RAW,
than to buy ZP or top of the line packaged food.

In the end it may actually be cheaper than what you're
feeding Mojo.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I second what Christa said, if you shop smart raw can be really cheap. I got 1kg of chicken wing tips for $0.60 today from an Asian market, they also sell whole boiling hens there for $2.50 each and beef mince for $3.50 per kg. I just buy whatever is on sale, makes it cheaper and gives them variety. Once you get the hang of it you will be able to spot a bargain. I'm with you on the freezer space though, mine is now half full of dog food!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Great to hear Ote loves it, i knew she would!! Every princess loves raw chicken ;)

I grew up on a cattle farm, just moved away from it two years ago to take xare of my mom. My uncle runs it and he raises and butchers his own meat. I'll be using it when they have been on long enough to have other proteins. He also ships. I can send anywhere in the US free (bulk postage). I can send you guys some mega sized chow for the babies. I usually fill my deep freezer with what he gives me.

I'm just not sure what part of the cow to feed them :D I can get all the free organs i need by the truck load. I can send that out free as well. Maybe i can start my own business making prepared raw meals for dogs!!!! Oh my, i just got myself all excited!!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
If your uncle would allow you to pass on some green tripe, I'm
sure there are people here who would be interested in that.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Great to hear Ote loves it, i knew she would!! Every princess loves raw chicken ;)

I grew up on a cattle farm, just moved away from it two years ago to take xare of my mom. My uncle runs it and he raises and butchers his own meat. I'll be using it when they have been on long enough to have other proteins. He also ships. I can send anywhere in the US free (bulk postage). I can send you guys some mega sized chow for the babies. I usually fill my deep freezer with what he gives me.

I'm just not sure what part of the cow to feed them :D I can get all the free organs i need by the truck load. I can send that out free as well. Maybe i can start my own business making prepared raw meals for dogs!!!! Oh my, i just got myself all excited!!!
Wow, lucky YOU and your dogs!! That's fantastic! You can feed ANY AND ALL parts of the cow. There's really nothing you shouldn't feed other than those big leg bones which some people think can crack teeth. That depends on how vigorous a chewer your dogs are. If they are sensible chewers and will gnaw on them instead of trying to actually consume them, they are fair game as well. Awwww we are seriously jealous here! That's so great!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If your uncle would allow you to pass on some green tripe, I'm
sure there are people here who would be interested in that.
Yep, plenty of that. I just called and left a message with my aunt. when he comes in later he'll call me and i will set up a day to go out there. A lot of the markets around there order from him so most of it is already boxed or i'll just pack it myself. I take my truck (Excursion) and fill up the whole back part of it. Its usually about two months before i have to buy any steaks or any kind of beef lol
I'll see how much tripe i can get. Probably two or three boxes (approx. 20lbs each).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Wow, lucky YOU and your dogs!! That's fantastic! You can feed ANY AND ALL parts of the cow. There's really nothing you shouldn't feed other than those big leg bones which some people think can crack teeth. That depends on how vigorous a chewer your dogs are. If they are sensible chewers and will gnaw on them instead of trying to actually consume them, they are fair game as well. Awwww we are seriously jealous here! That's so great!
Next time i go out there i can grab some stuff for you. As long as you live in the US the postage is free. All i have to do is drop it off to FedEx. He lives about three hours away so i usually know in advance when i'm going out there. Let me know what you would want and i can make a list. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Next time i go out there i can grab some stuff for you. As long as you live in the US the postage is free. All i have to do is drop it off to FedEx. He lives about three hours away so i usually know in advance when i'm going out there. Let me know what you would want and i can make a list. :)
You can ship for free?! Wow, how does that work? Doesn't your uncle or someone have to pay the fed ex guy? But yeah, I would definitely make an order but I would want to pay for it. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.