Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All Fellow Chi People!

My little Chihuahua boy is almost 6 months and as the weather gets warmer I think its time for his first flea/tick heart worm meds. I wanted to ask you guys here on your thoughts and opinions. I am not crazy about my vet and he charges me $50 just for coming in. Last time he recommended doing first a heart worm test and then offering pills for sale such as sentinel.

Here are my questions:
1. Is a heart worm test necessary before prescribing heart worm medicine?

2. What brand of medication do you recommend ?

3. I live in NYC and travel sometimes on the weekend to Monticello NY which is much more rural. Do you think its necessary for flea/tick prevention? IF yes what brand?

4. Can i buy petmeds online without a vets prescription?

5. I know Pet Vaccinations: Dog Vaccines, Cat Vaccines at Luv My Pet - Petco provides cheap vaccines and affordable pet meds. Any experience with them.

Thanks in advance. :D

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I would go with your vet's advice and do the heartworm test and then
buy Sentinel. I'm actually going tomorrow to do just that for my dogs. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. I'm not a vet, but I am going off protocols of my area in MA.

1) As far as I know, no vet will prescribe heartworm preventative without first having a heartworm test done.
2) I recommend Sentinel, since that brand has a 2-10lb dog pill, versus giving a dose for a heavier animal.
3)I recommend all dogs, regardless of location, be on a flea/tick preventative. I go an all-natural route with Lacey. We use Sentry Natural Defense Spot-on (it's smelly and greasy for a few days after application, but it's cheap and effective and contains NO CHEMICALS!). Before leaving the house, I spray her (and myself) with Cloud Nine herbal dip, which again, is all-natural, completely safe, and is awesome at keeping bugs and mosquitos and all those nasties away from both humans and pets!
4) You cannot purchase heartworm medication online without a prescription from your vet. Some websites will call your vet for you (such as 1800PetMeds), but they all require a prescription. You CAN order flea/tick preventative without a prescription.
5) Luv My Pet and I are about to have a battle, as they screwed up Lacey's microchipping (to the point where I'm 99% sure they didn't even implant the chip). I'm not the best person to ask about their services ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. I'm not a vet, but I am going off protocols of my area in MA.

1) As far as I know, no vet will prescribe heartworm preventative without first having a heartworm test done.
2) I recommend Sentinel, since that brand has a 2-10lb dog pill, versus giving a dose for a heavier animal.
3)I recommend all dogs, regardless of location, be on a flea/tick preventative. I go an all-natural route with Lacey. We use Sentry Natural Defense Spot-on (it's smelly and greasy for a few days after application, but it's cheap and effective and contains NO CHEMICALS!). Before leaving the house, I spray her (and myself) with Cloud Nine herbal dip, which again, is all-natural, completely safe, and is awesome at keeping bugs and mosquitos and all those nasties away from both humans and pets!
4) You cannot purchase heartworm medication online without a prescription from your vet. Some websites will call your vet for you (such as 1800PetMeds), but they all require a prescription. You CAN order flea/tick preventative without a prescription.
5) Luv My Pet and I are about to have a battle, as they screwed up Lacey's microchipping (to the point where I'm 99% sure they didn't even implant the chip). I'm not the best person to ask about their services ;)
Thank you for the reply. Looks like I'm going to go to the vet and see what kind of medicine he recommends. Sentinel does look good but I don't see any tick repellent on it. I'm going to research your all natural method as we only travel to the mountains during the weekends in the summer.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I use use heartguard plus and advantage II. Never seen a flea, tick, or any other pest any on them ever. I also treat my yard twice a year. But being in the mountain the can pick up a lot a lot of pests. See which one your vet recommends too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts