Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, this is my second question thread of the night!

Anyhow, my mom and sister are going to Indianapolis, IN to visit my mom's aunt on Wednesday. It was a last minute trip as my mom is considering taking a job up there but needs to make sure that they will be able to adjust okay going from Florida to Indiana. All of her family lives in the Midwest and there are also quite a few jobs for my dad up there, so he could live at home full time instead of splitting his time between home and where he works.

I am moving in just over two weeks, so I am staying home to pack. Lilly is too big to fit under the seat of the plane and with her health problems it just isn't a good idea. Since I am going to be here, she's staying with me and Toby. Rocky is flying to Indiana with my mom and sister.

My question is: Does anyone have any advice on flying with a 6ish pound Chi? We called the airlines and made sure we got the right type of carrier and whatnot. We are worried about possible anxiety or fear. Any reassurances and suggestions about this would be helpful. Also, any general flying advice would be appreciated as well. I'll keep the tips in mind in November when I fly home for Thanksgiving with Toby!

Thank you in advance from my mom, sister, and myself!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Don't feed right before the flight.
Make sure to walk him well right before the airport.
Bring a pad and try to sneak a pee pee in the women's
washroom right before boarding the plane(that's my
trick for a calm dog on plane). Make his carrier extra
cozy with a blanket, put a pad under the blanket just
in case. Bring some toilet paper in case he throws up.
Put a chew toy in the carrier to keep him busy at least
a part of the time. And most importantly don't stress,
because when we worry and stress it passes on to our
pups and they get anxious. I flew with my Pom all over
Canada and never used and sedatives or remedies, just
did the things I mentioned above and Kissa was fine.

Sometimes if your pup is good and quiet they let you keep
it in your lap for a while. But don't count on it. You can
however open the carrier a bit and pet him and sweet talk
all you want. :)

Find out if his vaccination booklet is needed, it is sometimes.
And if possible I suggest buying his ticket ahead of time, because
there is only a certain number of pets allowed on the plane, so if
a few other people have dogs on board he might get refused and
he'll have to fly cargo. So warn them in advance.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't feed right before the flight.
Make sure to walk him well right before the airport.
Bring a pad and try to sneak a pee pee in the women's
washroom right before boarding the plane(that's my
trick for a calm dog on plane). Make his carrier extra
cozy with a blanket, put a pad under the blanket just
in case. Bring some toilet paper in case he throws up.
Put a chew toy in the carrier to keep him busy at least
a part of the time. And most importantly don't stress,
because when we worry and stress it passes on to our
pups and they get anxious. I flew with my Pom all over
Canada and never used and sedatives or remedies, just
did the things I mentioned above and Kissa was fine.

Sometimes if your pup is good and quiet they let you keep
it in your lap for a while. But don't count on it. You can
however open the carrier a bit and pet him and sweet talk
all you want. :)

Find out if his vaccination booklet is needed, it is sometimes.
And if possible I suggest buying his ticket ahead of time, because
there is only a certain number of pets allowed on the plane, so if
a few other people have dogs on board he might get refused and
he'll have to fly cargo. So warn them in advance.
LS, I am going to print this out and give it to my mom! Thank you for the amazing advice!! Great tip about sneaking a pee pad! They bought his ticket already, so he's good to go on that front. Since it is a domestic flight, we've been told we only need to bring his rabies certificate and tag. So I think we are good on that front. I'm just really trying to calm my mom and sister's anxieties so they are calm for the flight. It doesn't help that my sister has never flown, either.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
For sister's and mom's anxiety I suggest a shot of Vodka before the flight, and another one during.

JOKING! :lol: ;)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'll tell my mom that, too ;)

Unfortunately, the sister is only 19... not legal here in the US!

Oh yes, this is why so many American teens come to Canada during their
vacation breaks...too drink, lol.

Seriously though for mom and sister I'd bring a couple of magazines or good
books to read, to pass the time and reduce the anxiety. I'm not a fan of flying
either and that is what helps me. :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yes, this is why so many American teens come to Canada during their
vacation breaks...too drink, lol.

Seriously though for mom and sister I'd bring a couple of magazines or good
books to read, to pass the time and reduce the anxiety. I'm not a fan of flying
either and that is what helps me. :)
I LOVE flying. I don't understand the fear I guess. Everyone I know thinks I am nuts because the ascent and descent are my favorite parts! I just love it, it's a rush LOL. My mom doesn't mind it either, but my sister has never flown. So she is understandably nervous.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
You know what made me dislike flying? Flying 9.5 hours from Russia to Canada, it
is BRUTAL to say the least. Short flights I don't mind so much, don't love it but
tolerate it...I'd walk instead if I could, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Also if this is the first time they have flown tell them to bring gum. I always have issues with landing (slow decent) as my ears pop and it annoys me but chewing gum helps that.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You know what made me dislike flying? Flying 9.5 hours from Russia to Canada, it
is BRUTAL to say the least. Short flights I don't mind so much, don't love it but
tolerate it...I'd walk instead if I could, lol.
Ugh, I am with you on that. That is the reason I don't like flying as well. I've mostly only flown extremely long flights. Flying from the US to Iceland, then from Iceland to Sweden really sucked. The first flight was 7.5 hours and the second was 2.5 hours. Such a long trip! I'm the kind of person who just sits there, too. I don't really like to listen to music or read too much, so I just sat bored. I would so much rather drive. At least it's scenic and you can look out the window and listen to whatever ridiculous crap is on the radio.

But back to Ashley, I hope all goes well for your sister, Mom, and Rocky. LS stated all the advice I could think of and more.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
We have flown with Frankie. We were so nervous but he was fine. A good pee break before airport. He slept most of 3 hour flight. We took him out at first, no problem with that, I hid him under a blankie on my lap. :D We were lucky because we had no one sitting in middle seat!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I used to always bring a craft with me on a plane. Like crocheting, but something small like a doily or a project that is made with squares.

I vowed to never fly again!! I am not afraid of flying, I just don't want to put up with all the garbage of today's flying. Once you are on the plane, you are at the mercy of other people. You don't know if you will be stuck on the tarmac, if someone on the plane will go crazy and they have to do emergency landing, or bad weather delays. I am getting too old to have the hassles!

One time coming back from Chicago, a passenger tried to open the cabin door! She was yelling that she had to get off the plane! That was prior to 9/11!! The managed to restrain her and we were only about 30 minutes from our destination airport!

Flying is great if we go back to the way it used to be!

I am glad he is able to go in the cabin with them. I have travelled with a dog, but couldn't come in the cabin with me. At least they can pet him once in a while.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone! It's only a 2.5 hour flight, so I am sure they will be fine. My mom has been flying since she was a year old, so I think they will be fine. She's just never flown with a dog before. She is most worried about going through security, etc. at the airport with the dog.

With all of this advice, I think she will be more prepared... I am going to print this info out for her. I'll let you all know how it goes next Wednesday after they get to Indiana.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.