Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Cookie has started her first heat and is not interested in her food. She has always been a very picky eater and we thought there was hope for her when she seemed to like her combo of Primal freeze, ziwipeak and Stella & Chewy's. She has so many flavors to eat and yet somehow she's just not interested in her own food for the past 1 week. We've tried mixing with tasty things like tomato soup and she would eat at first and then lose interest the next meal. Her weight is dropping and am starting to get worried. However having said this, she is only interested in human food. I'm trying not to let her share our food but am worried that she's not eating at all then.

Anyone have any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If she is losing weight, then I might be tempted to mix a little human food into her meals. Maybe put it into the microwave and heat it up (make sure its not too hot) before giving. Other than that, tincture of time will stop this behavior! Heats only lasts 3 weeks!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
It is quite normal to lose appetite at the beginning of a season. Being less interested in food is often the first sign I notice when one of our girls is about to come into heat.
I would give her whatever she wants if she is dropping weight, there is nothing wrong with 'human food' as long as you are feeding healthy stuff. So meat, veggie and fruits, eggs, fish, cooked plain without any seasoning are all fine

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Minnie isn't spayed and when she comes in heat she loses her appetite. she will eat some but not anywhere near as much as usual. so, she does lose some weight. but, Minnie isn't super thin, so, I think its fine for her to lose a bit. she puts it back on when she comes out of heat

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I agree with Stella about it being normal and about human food being good as long as it's healthy. If she's losing weight I would cook her something she can't refuse like scrambled eggs, chicken or minced beef (cooked in just a bit of water) or tinned sardines (without salt or oil, just in spring water). That's what I do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice. So I mixed scrambled eggs with her Stella and Chewy's and she seemed to love it although that sneaky girl tried to eat around her food and only go for the scrambled eggs. It's been only 24 hours and by this morning she is only insisting to eat scrambled eggs without her food. When mixed in, she totally rejected it.

Does anyone have issues with their chis being such problem eaters? Mealtimes are so frustrating for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts