Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freddie has just been for his first injection and now we're home, he is screeching in pain whenever i put my hand anywhere near his neck.

Hope this is normal..!?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Ninja did the same with her first injection she is close to 3 years old now but at the time it scared me to death. She didnt scream but yelped whenever touched. Let your chi have a nap for a few hours but if no better ring the vet for advise. :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have seen this before, in Jades litter all the puppies screamed and yelped while turning in circles, it seemed to be giving them a burning sensation they all including Jade screamed loudly. She and her brother continue to do this for evey vaccine, vet didnt show concern so I honestly didnt ask but they are all alive and well lol I think it may be the size of the needle but thats just my guess, im not sure. It breaks my heart to see it but if for the best, I wouldnt worry too much unless it continues for more than a couple hours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I phoned the 24hr hospital last night and they said not to worry too much but go back to the vets if its still bad today. He not as bad this morning but he still clearly doesn't like being picked up or stroked too much. And he's been very hyper... Not sure if thats a side effect as well?

He just seems to have changed quite a bit ever since the injection.. :(

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree, alhough he yelps if you touch the area some chis experience painful local reactions. Also with the distemper vaccines some dogs get side effects of the virus, as with all vaccines they are getting a small amount of it so maybe a mood change can be a side effect, it affects their nervous system. I would just keep an eye on him..

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Yay !! What a relief ... It hurts so much to see our babies in pain and its weird how dogs take the injections differently. The area still may be a little sensitive for a few days but I'm happy to hear your baby if feeling better now ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.