Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lady and I will be driving solo from SC to Ohio tomorrow. This is the first time I have had her in the car more than about an hour and a half. Any tips? I have a BMW roadster with low seats so I got a Lookout booster seat so she can see out. I have some extra water, a bowl, food and her carrying bag (dawned on me when I have to use the restroom, she will have to come with me)! Normally my husband would come but this trip we are making alone. I suspect she will fall asleep eventually. I am even going to pack lunch so we can stop at a road side stop for lunch. That way she will be able to run around a bit. Hopefully the trip will not be too long at about 9 hours. She doesn't seem to mind riding in the car at all.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had this same issue back in march. I drove my 2 chi's by myself from virginia beach to syracuse, ny. Roughly 9 hours. They were great they didn't eat at all on the trip. I offered them water and food at rest stops. I tried to stop every couple of hours so they could stretch there legs/use the bathroom. For the most part they just slept.

Good luck tomorrow :) I'm sure it will go smoothly and easier the expected.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I took Toby to North Carolina from Florida (12 hours) and then later from South Florida to Jacksonville (5 hours). When we went to NC, he was less than 6 months old. He slept the whole way in his carrier, we only stopped for pee breaks! When I went to Jax, it was just me and him. I snuck him into the bathroom at a Burger King, in his carrier. He was great!!!

I am sure you'll be fine!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I just did our first long trip. I drove from Rochester NY to Fayetteville NC. 14 hours there an 13 hours home. Chloe did great! I got her a deer antler to work on and a couple new kong toys. I recomend stopping at the rest stops right after state lines. They have the best rest stops and nice pet areas! Have a safe trip!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts