Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Add me to the list of mispronounced names: Camille. :D I'm french speaking so it's meant to be pronounced with a french double L. I accept that a lot of english speaking people find it challenging though so I have to put up with being called "Cah-meal". I just find it funny because that english pronunciation is actually the male version of Camille in french... and on top of being masculine, it's only very very old men who have that name. :laughing5:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Add me to the list of mispronounced names: Camille. :D I'm french speaking so it's meant to be pronounced with a french double L. I accept that a lot of english speaking people find it challenging though so I have to put up with being called "Cah-meal". I just find it funny because that english pronunciation is actually the male version of Camille in french... and on top of being masculine, it's only very very old men who have that name. :laughing5:
Well, I live in Canada so very familiar with French-speaking names etc. In fact, as you know, most English-Canadians 40ish years and younger can all speak some French.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Well, I live in Canada so very familiar with French-speaking names etc. In fact, as you know, most English-Canadians 40ish years and younger can all speak some French.
Oh yes in Canada it's different. hehe But people struggle with it elsewhere, like here in the UK. It's not like I expect people to say it right though, it's just funny. ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oh yes in Canada it's different. hehe But people struggle with it elsewhere, like here in the UK. It's not like I expect people to say it right though, it's just funny. ;)

It's the same as Spanish words/names with a double "L" in them. I lived in Texas for a number of years and there is a huge Spanish/Mexican influence there. I now speak some very rough, but effective, Spanish. But it's funny now when I hear English speaking people say double 'L' Spanish words and they say "lah" instead of the "y" sound it should be.

yep, totally understand!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
It's the same as Spanish words/names with a double "L" in them. I lived in Texas for a number of years and there is a huge Spanish/Mexican influence there. I now speak some very rough, but effective, Spanish. But it's funny now when I hear English speaking people say double 'L' Spanish words and they say "lah" instead of the "y" sound it should be.

yep, totally understand!
You would find it hilarious watching English people ordering Mexican food in the UK (Spanish is not a well known language here, French and German are commonly taught in schools)
Most people can say tortilla correctly, but for some reason paella is always pronounced 'pie- ella'. The amount of times i have heard jalapeno pronounced jalla-peeno is just ridiculous lol Most people can't pronounce simple italian words either, pasta types confuse us, I rarely hear anyone pronounce conchiglie correctly. (con-shig-lee being the most common)

I can understand the confusion with Camille though, it is not that uncommon as a name in the UK and is pronounced Ca-meal

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Oh yeah, my boyfriend's family speaks spanish as a first language so I've learnt it at some extent. And I find the english pronunciation of words like paella and jalapeño hilarious too. lol It's not their fault though I guess. If you grow up speaking english as a first language, you can function perfectly without ever learning another so I suppose there isn't the same drive or need to learn other languages.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Carol is a pretty easy one. or so one would think. its pronounced care-ole. but even still sometimes(thankfully its rare) people get it confused with Car-ole or even Carlos. :confused:

they butcher my last name even more. its spelled the way it is for a reason but they still add on the extra "annn" sound when it should be silent.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts