Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive spent the last 2 hours calling around and a vet told me about this site.

Here is the background. My Chi just had 6 puppies last night and she is now looking very thin. Puppies are feeding very well and feeding all day. She doesnt leave them at all, but is not territorial at all. I am able to pick up the pups without incident. I also noticed (for the first time) a flea and im worried that she may pass them to the puppies.

1) what is ok for us to be feeding her?

2) Is it ok to separate her from the puppies... ie walks, feedings, bathroom....

3) How long should i wait till shes back to normal weight?

4) Should we limit the puppies feedings?

5) can i bath her to get rid of fleas right away?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
How old are the puppies. Sorry but I'm pretty disgusted you didn't do enough research before you bred your dog! And more so that your vet pointed you upwards a forum rather than giving you advice.

Your bitch should be on a high quality puppy food and have access to it all the time there is no such thing as giving a lactating bitch too much food.

With regards to the flea get a flea comb and get it off her fleas can make puppies anaemic and kill them. You need to check them too since I don't know how old they are (I assume newborns?) then can't say much more. If I was you I would bath her in dish soap (do not use a flea shampoo) it's natural and should help get rid of anything you haven't combed out.

Take her out for potty breaks she may not want to leave the babes so wrap one up and take it with you.

You can also give her cottage cheese etc to give her the extra fats she needs. Crap food = poorly puppies later on in life (my friends dog has crap bone density because it's mum was fed crap food)

We will help you we are passionate about chis here but a lot of us have very strong views on breeding please get er spayed after the puppies have left at 12 weeks. Research and having a mentor is key to saving these dogs lifes we have seen a lot of people come on ere their bitches and puppies have died because they either haven't done their research and don't know what to look for.

Btw forum policy is pictures you must post pics of puppies it's stops us from being broody

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
1) what is ok for us to be feeding her? as Daisydoo has said good quality puppy food available at all times

2) Is it ok to separate her from the puppies... ie walks, feedings, bathroom.... its fine although i wouldnt be taking her away for long and also wouldnt be walking her just yet

3) How long should i wait till shes back to normal weight? she should bounce back quite fast given she is fed well on good quality food

4) Should we limit the puppies feedings? No

5) can i bath her to get rid of fleas right away? yes you can but do make sure it is safe for the puppies , i would use advantage on her bought from the vet , it is safe for her and her puppies from 2 days old , i would also be worming mum now ,and the puppies at 2 weeks old and every 2 weeks until they are 12 weeks old , if they have fleas they have worms

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was never our intention to breed. We have two females and both are taken regularly to the dog park by a neighbor with her two dogs (males).

Thank you for the advice so far.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I would have both females spayed asap

Try to find another vet it is quite concerning they directed you to a forum rather than advising you themselves

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fed my puppy this...

Small Breed Puppy Food | Eukanuba.com

But had a bad night. Fed Chula some cottage cheese, and found out she was allergic to it. She broke out in hives and i rushed her to the Pet Hospital. All is good now. Went to a new vet today who seems to care alot and suggested that i continue the eukanuba and an egg yolk till she finishes nursing.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Having her spayed while nursing can dry her milk up. You need to feed a higher quality food such as Blue Buffalo, Innova, Orijen, Acana, Solid Gold or Wellness, she is going to get better nutrition (gain weight better) from those, Eukanuba has a lot of grains in it and it's hard to digest. Make sure it's a puppy formula. That will help with her weight, at this point I would feed her as much as she will eat.

Here is a website that will be helpful to you in raising the puppies:
Breeding, Whelping, and Rearing Puppies

You should be weighing the puppies each day to make sure they are all gaining weight. If not then you will probably have to supplement them with puppy formula. I used to use a heat lamp over my puppy whelping box to make sure to keep them warm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts