Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abilene starts puppy class Wednesday. I am nervous but excited. Two of the ladies I work with at the vet clinic are trainers there so at least I know the place well. I didn't take my other two to puppy class so this will be my first experience with it. :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have taken all of my chi's to puppy class. One was so terrified that she screamed and was heard all over the Petsmart store! It took 3 classes until she 'graduated' with the big dogs! She went on to be a therapy dog, just took alot of work on both our parts. Be ready for a growl, or snarl from your tiny pup, if a big dog sticks his nose in your pups 'space'! Just be extra careful for him!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have taken all of my chi's to puppy class. One was so terrified that she screamed and was heard all over the Petsmart store! It took 3 classes until she 'graduated' with the big dogs! She went on to be a therapy dog, just took alot of work on both our parts. Be ready for a growl, or snarl from your tiny pup, if a big dog sticks his nose in your pups 'space'! Just be extra careful for him!
Hi Susan,

This is exactly how Molly behaves with other doggies. She is making tiny baby steps of progress at puppy school (she ventures off of her blanket now and crosses the room when all the others are restrained - proud mummy haha!) but still doesn't like the other dogs really. How long did your little one take to overcome this and do you have any advice/tips to share? Molly is 18 weeks.

Thanks so much x

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Nugget took awhile---3 puppy classes, one regular obedience class and one therapy dog class. I carried her the entire first puppy class. She 'graduated' by actually walking on the floor! She never did like other dogs, but tolerated them, as long as they didn't get into 'her space'. Then there was a snarl, and a snap if they didn't get the message. Of course, I intervened most of the time, to keep her safe. I wasn't watching once, and a huge german shepherd pup (his nose was bigger than Nuggets whole body!) came up to her for a quick smell, and she drove him away!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts