Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I are planning to take my chi mix and his husky on a day trip to see snow. We live in California about 15 minutes away from the beach so you can image that it doesnt get very cold around here. The husky is going to love it I'm sure, it's too hot here for him normally, but I'm worried about how my chi mix would do. She does get cold easily sometimes but she seldom needs anything like a sweater. What do you think i should bring for the trip? Would I need to buy any special parka or booties for her? I bought this recently cause its been raining lately but it's not very thick so Im worried its not sufficient enough for snow. The thicker coats I have found are really expensive though so I'm hesitant to buy them for a one day thing.

On a side note, what do I need for myself and my boyfriend? Neither of us have a lot of snow experience or winter clothes.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't think it's worth it for you to buy a very expensive coat for just that one day.

But if you are going to put a pullover on your Chi make sure it's waterproof as otherwhise you Chis body temperature will melt the snow he is walking in and the pullover will soak up the water, hence making him very cold.

I would say take a blanket or bag with you where your Chi can snuggle up into if it's too cold for him/her to walk in the snow. If you decide your Chi can walk as it's not too cold, make sure you are constantly on the move and don't stay at one place for too long as moving will make him/her warm.

·
Registered
787 Posts
As suggested above. make sure whatever your chi wears is water resistant, and have some means to easily carry her on hand, if she decides she doesn't want to walk or she's becoming too cold.

For yourselves, wear weather-resistant shoes or boots, and along with coats, wear hats, gloves and SCARVES. Having a warm neck makes a huge difference when you're out in the cold.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Do you have any recommendations for products or places I should buy from? The coats I'm finding that are decent enough are around $40. Is that about right? Booties are also around $30.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Most chihuahuas don't like the snow or extreme cold weather. Make sure you buy a warm coat that is waterproof for your chi. She may or may not want to walk in booties (my chis won't walk with booties). If she refuses to walk in the snow (since it is both wet and cold on her naked paws if she refuses to walk in the booties), pick her up and carry her. Here is a place you could order a warm coat for your chi that costs between $20 - $32: http://www.pupincloset.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=72

My Bella and Lina won't walk outside when it's snowing or raining or extremely cold outside (below 32 degrees), but they enjoy being tucked inside our coats while we walk outside with them to get some fresh air. Yes, my girls are spoiled rotten. :)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Dressing in layers will help for you and your boyfriend. That way if one layer gets wet you can easily take it off and still be dry and it tends to keep you warmer when you have layers on.

You will still need a warm coat, gloves, scarves etc but when I lived where there was snow we always dressed in layers.

We were just looking at coats at Petsmart and Petco yesterday. They have some decent ones that aren't outrageous since it is now going to be an everyday experience.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Do you have any recommendations for products or places I should buy from? The coats I'm finding that are decent enough are around $40. Is that about right? Booties are also around $30.
That sounds like a good price for the coat, but you can definitely find booties for cheaper (like $10-15) online. From the sound of it, you don't need to invest in a good pair of booties. Check out baxterboo.com, if you haven't already :)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Amy said exactly what I was going to say! You don't necessarily need to buy special clothes, layers would be better. However, a nice windproof parka wouldn't be a bad idea.

Are you going for just one day? If so, you may decide that you want to spend more time in your car!! lol

It's funny, my first chi always went out in any kind of weather, but Angel is spoiled!! He hasn't really been out in the snow much! He's been "protected" by his daddy!! But that all changes this year.

When are you going to "snow country?"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amy said exactly what I was going to say! You don't necessarily need to buy special clothes, layers would be better. However, a nice windproof parka wouldn't be a bad idea.

Are you going for just one day? If so, you may decide that you want to spend more time in your car!! lol

It's funny, my first chi always went out in any kind of weather, but Angel is spoiled!! He hasn't really been out in the snow much! He's been "protected" by his daddy!! But that all changes this year.

When are you going to "snow country?"
Yup its just one day. I was planning on going whenever it snows haha. So just whenever the weather is right

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I would wager that she's not going to like it right away, haha. Is she a short coat? It really has less to do with the snow, and more to do with the temperature. Is it going to be really cold where you're going? Of course all dogs are different, but Odie can't tolerate temperatures of lower than -8 celsius for more than a minute, even with a heavy duty jacket on. On a nice day when it's above zero, even with tons of snow on the ground, she prances out to do her business with just a sweater on like a champ. Booties would be great if you can find some that fit, as their little paws are the most at risk. We haven't been able to find any small enough to fit Odie so we avoid the outdoors if it's too cold during winter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
:D Everyone gave great advice, if you want snow i can send ya all the snow ya want LOL!! J/K!! Here in the great white north we get LOTS of snow, northern Michigan gets hammerd real good in the winter time, especialy since we live in the snow belt region and are very close to Lake Michigan, high winds and bone chilling cold temps.. I pretty well much hibernate durring the winter months and spend my days down in my winter grow room for all my plants, with nature sounds CD going and a good book to read all those lights stop me from getting the winter blues/cabin fever.:D Let me know if ya ever wana see some good snow pics i have TONS i can post..:coolwink:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
The only thing I would add is that when it snows here there is a lot of ice so I make sure to wear shoes that have good grip on them otherwise sliding can be a problem. Also something like Wellies are good because they have the grip and protect your legs from the wet. They're not always really comfortable if you're doing a lot of walking though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts