Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am now waiting for my baby chihuahua to be old enough to leave her mum (and i'm soo exited!), and i've started to look around the web for the stuff i'll need, but i'm having difficulty with the size of everything, since it's my first chi.
for example, some people have told me to go ahead and just buy one of those igloo beds for cats (14''x14''), and then my fiancee tells me it's probably too small...
and the same for harnesses, coats, a carrier, the playpen ...

i know i could just wait for the puppy to arrive, but some of the stuff i'll need to have already like the bed and the playpen, and the other stuff i wanted to order at the same time to save on shipping.

If it helps, her breeder says she's probably going to be a bit under 4pounds.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
You should probably opt for a crate instead of a playpen or at least for now. A crate is a great potty training tool and also keeps the pup out of harms way while you are not around to watch her. Dogs are den animals and they feel comfortable and secure when they have a place to retreat to. As for the bed, I would get a medium or large bed that she can grow into unless ofcourse you just want to buy new beds. As for harness and clothes it may be better to wait for her to get there so you can try them on or at least get measurements so you can order online. Some start off with cat harnesses or ferret harnesses if they are a very small puppy ;-) I had to use a ferret harness at first for Yoshi and Chibi :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would say a cat bed is definitely not going to be too little, my adult chis still use cat beds. Their favorite is the little round ones from Petco with the fleece lining, theyre cheap like $10 and they love the "donut" style so they can curl up and rest their chins on the edge. Have you seen your puppy in person? Or any chis in person? They can really surprise you with how small they are if youve never actually seen one in front of you!
As for pens, this is the one I used for Leo as a puppy. It was recommended to me here by several other members who used it for their chi pups too. It allows plenty of space for a bed, crate, a few toys, and a potty area if youre using the pee pads, but doesnt take up too much space in your home.
Amazon.com: Iris CI-604 Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pet Pen, 4 Panels: Kitchen & Dining
For crates, we have three of the midwest brand in XS, they are quite large for them as puppies but a perfect fit for an adult chi.
Harnesses, clothes etc depend on the puppy, theres a pretty big difference between a 2 lb chi or one thats under 1lb. Do you know her current weight? That might give a better idea, breeders tend to lowball on weight a bit, usually if you add a pound to the projected weight its closer on, but she could be extra little.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply!
Everything i'm thinking about buying now is for grownup size... i'm only thinking about it now because since i'm ordering the playpen and other stuff online, i might as well order everything in one sitting and get free shipping (no good pet stores arround where i live unfortunately).

the breeder says she'll be under 2kg (she's being sold as a pet because she's too small for breeding), and i don't think she would lowball the weight because we've talked quite a bit and she knows i don't care for the size, if anything i'd rather she'd be a bit bigger (and therefore less fragile). She had another girl for sale a few months ago that i didn't buy because she was going to be a little more than 1kg.

so you think 14'' is a good length for the bed and the carrier? i know i could just buy a bigger bed, but i have another dog that LOVES to take ownership of other dog's beds (he does it every time we visit the in-laws), so i want their spaces to be well defined ... and if her bed is too small for him he can't steal it :p

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
14 inches might be a little short for a carrier...its hard to tell just from weight what their size will be, some longer and leaner and might be the same weight as a smaller, more compact chi. The XS crates I have are 18 inches long. Again thats 2x the length they need as a puppy, but a good size for an adult. Id maybe look for a bag thats closer to 16 inches or so if you want it to definitely work for her as an adult. Worst case scenario its a little longer than you need and she has some extra room to turn around and get comfy. For a little bed thats probably just fine. I had to laugh at the idea of that keeping another dog out though, haha our lab is laying on one of the cat beds right now. It drives me nuts!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahah that's funny to picture!

well, i can only try, that's why i'm thinking of the igloo bed, the only way my 20lb mutt would fit is if he flattened it out and sat on it :D

i mentioned the 14 inches because i was thinking of buying this one King of dogs dog carry bag black but i can look into other ones. she's really gonna need a carrier that's comfortable for the both of us, cause i travel a lot and i plan to take her with me when she's old enough.

I haven't seen her personally yet, but i know her parents are more one the compact side.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My Chi`s have igloos! they absoulty LOVE them!!
They had them as pups aswell they are brilliant!
I did also have a create too tho and put the igloo inside the create.
heres a piccy of their beds.....
sometimes they share 1 its too cute!!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The first harness that I used was for a kitty--shhh...don't tell him that. I got a nice carrier bag that I would not be embarassed to carry around and he was quite happy. when they are babies they like being close to you. I'd get something that you will like to carry and can fit under an airplane seat.

I would get some Nutra-Cal puppy formula in a tube to supplemnt feeding her. Also check withthe breeder for the detail of what she likes to eat, with a chi babe that small you will have to feed her frequently at first. You will need feeding dishes that are shallow enough for her to reach.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the harness i just remembered, i have my bunny's old harness, is probably small enough :)

thanks for the tip about the feeding bowls!

about the carrier, i'm choosing a bag because they seem comfy for the dog, and are less clunky to carry around than the classic hard plastic ones. What are the measurements of yours? i'm seeing ones that are 36cm long, do you thing that's too small?

the breeder told me she's coming with a bag of her food, some toys, a nutritional supplement, and she gave me a suggestion of this yoghurty baby food thing to give her every day to avoid low blood sugar.

Honestly, i'm very happy with the breeder, she seems very honest and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Amy I cant find any Igloo beds here that are as cute as yours! Do you know who makes them???
These were the cutest I could find...
Igloo Polka Dot Black & White 41cm/16 by Alex Griffiths Cosipet Ltd - Amazing Animal
But I like yours better! They look so cozy,I think my three would really like them.
Hey sorry for late reply! Well to be honest they are the same!! if i saw the dotty one like the one in the link i would have got it!!
I just put extra blankets in to make it really cozy!!
I got mine from pets at home, its a large pet store we have here in england im not sure if u have them in the U.S? im sure they have a website tho u might be able to order from... Good luck! x

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Hey sorry for late reply! Well to be honest they are the same!! if i saw the dotty one like the one in the link i would have got it!!
I just put extra blankets in to make it really cozy!!
I got mine from pets at home, its a large pet store we have here in england im not sure if u have them in the U.S? im sure they have a website tho u might be able to order from... Good luck! x
Thank you! Your reply was not late at all, especially considering the time difference! I found a few at the pets at home site, but they were weird patterns and Im sure the shipping rate would be awful! I think I may try to get someone on Etsy to make me some custom, that way I can choose the colors too. Is it alright if I use your pic to give them an idea of what Im after?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thank you! Your reply was not late at all, especially considering the time difference! I found a few at the pets at home site, but they were weird patterns and Im sure the shipping rate would be awful! I think I may try to get someone on Etsy to make me some custom, that way I can choose the colors too. Is it alright if I use your pic to give them an idea of what Im after?
Hey! yea sure u can!! let me know how u get on with them! x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts